Sleep/Standby Questions

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Aliascognito, Dec 26, 2011.

1. Aliascognito macrumors member

So I want to download Portal 2 onto my MacBook Pro again from Steam, but I don't intend on using the MacBook whilst it is downloading.
    Using the Ctrl+Shift+Eject sleep shortcut, will this stop the download as I don't want to leave it overnight in a sleeping state if it's not downloading.

Also, what is the difference in Ctrl_Shift_Eject key, and simply closing over the lid on the MacBook? What effects do each have on the MacBook?

Another question: In the Energy Saving prefpane, what does Computer Sleep actually do? Would it halt a download when it and Display Sleep are both active? (Assuming battery is full)

Thanks anyone who answers :)
    Stefan

2. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

Sleeping stops ALL activity, including downloads. There is no difference between the sleep command, closing the lid, and telling the computer to sleep after hitting the power button.

Sleeping the computer saves the RAM contents to the disk, then puts the computer into a nearly-shutdown state while preserving the contents of the RAM. When you wake the computer up, it picks up where it left off.

I suggest you just turn off the screen if you want it to download while you're not using it.

3. Aliascognito thread starter macrumors member

I hate 1 word posts, but its always nice to say thanks, so thank you.

4. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

No prob :)

5. VTECaddict macrumors 6502

Ctrl+Shift+Eject only puts the DISPLAY to sleep (aka turn of the screen). The computer itself is still fully on and running.

Closing the lid puts the whole computer to sleep.