Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MILESAR

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 11, 2005
CO
Curious...

for those of you who have laptops, when travelling, do you shut off the computer? or is it safe/ok to travel with the computer in sleep (hard drive jolting?)

Cheers

Norouzi

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2004
Philadelphia, PA
I don't have a laptop, but when in sleep the machine only has enough power going through it to keep whatever's stored in RAM active. The hard drive dosen't spin at all. I do know quite a few people that almost never shut their laptops down and just close the lid, throw it in a case and go. So unless you mean your gonna pack it in a box and put it in a moving truck I'd say sleep is fine.

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
I carry my iBook to and from University (about 5 miles, okey, I normally only walk one way and get driven the other) and drag it around campus all day, always just put to sleep in its tucano second skin and tossed in a backpack. No problems, whatsoever...

I even managed to slip and fall twice last week - it was bl**dy cold and the ice was not removed from the pavements early in the morning... :( ...the first time I actually landed on my back (after first hitting the ground with my left knee) and the backpack took all my weight, the second time I had the backpack over just one sholder and (except for my poor left knee which again took a beating) the backpack was the thing that hit the ground the hardest... the iBook still woke up when I got indoors, both times, and works like a charm... :)

iSaint

macrumors 603
Most definitely ok to sleep 'book and transport...I drove to Atlanta, carried my iBook in sleep mode in my backpack all over the city, opening and closing many times, and drove home all without restarting. I'm new to Apples and to laptops, I love this feature.

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
Sleep. Multiple times a day. I use it so much because it is so easy to just open and use. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.