Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

irfan22

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 10, 2009
With the announcement that native apps will be coming to the :apple:watch in the fall and that an SDK will be available for sensors on the watch, do you think an app developer will create a sleep tracking app?

It seems the device has all the sensors that a fitbit or jawbone up has. Only issue is battery life.

archie2016

macrumors newbie
Jul 31, 2016
With the announcement that native apps will be coming to the :apple:watch in the fall and that an SDK will be available for sensors on the watch, do you think an app developer will create a sleep tracking app?

It seems the device has all the sensors that a fitbit or jawbone up has. Only issue is battery life.

I help develop a new automated sleep monitoring app called Sleep Watch. It's a native app for Watch OS 2 that works with the Health app and the iPhone. We just released it and it's a work in progress. It's different because it automatically tracks your sleep without requiring manual user input of when you go to bed or when you wake up. I was pretty disappointed to find that the sleep tracking apps I have used do not have this kind of automated tracking; so, we think the app solves a real problem. Regarding battery life, we recommend a charge of at least 65% before bed. We are still enhancing the accuracy of the sleep detection algorithms and we encourage users to give us feedback on our sleep detection accuracy to help make the algorithm better. It doesn't have visual graphs of your night activity yet; so if you require that then the app is probably not ready for your needs. We've made it available for $4.99 on the App Store and we would love to get your feedback!

App Name: Sleep Watch

Link to the App: https://itunes.apple.com/app/apple-store/id1138066420?pt=118333045&ct=mrum5&mt=8

Link to the Website (coming soon): http://www.sleepwatchapp.com

Love to hear your thoughts!

Here are some promo codes (for v.1.1.0) to try it out (to redeem go to 'App Store' app > Featured tab > Scroll to bottom of screen > Tap 'Redeem'):

YLKAWTWLLHAK
TLL7M6MNK476
XJ6YNJ44LEF7
MNJM746YANRF
ATNHKK46YJT7

It might be a good idea for anyone that uses a code above to post here so that future readers are aware.

4.png

1.png
2.png
3.png

SMonroe

macrumors newbie
May 12, 2016
I help develop a new automated sleep monitoring app called Sleep Watch. It's a native app for Watch OS 2 that works with the Health app and the iPhone. We just released it and it's a work in progress. It's different because it automatically tracks your sleep without requiring manual user input of when you go to bed or when you wake up. I was pretty disappointed to find that the sleep tracking apps I have used do not have this kind of automated tracking; so, we think the app solves a real problem. Regarding battery life, we recommend a charge of at least 65% before bed. We are still enhancing the accuracy of the sleep detection algorithms and we encourage users to give us feedback on our sleep detection accuracy to help make the algorithm better. It doesn't have visual graphs of your night activity yet; so if you require that then the app is probably not ready for your needs. We've made it available for $4.99 on the App Store and we would love to get your feedback!

Link to the App: https://itunes.apple.com/app/apple-store/id1138066420?pt=118333045&ct=mrum5&mt=8

Here are some promo codes (for v.1.1.0) to try it out (to redeem go to 'App Store' app > Featured tab > Scroll to bottom of screen > Tap 'Redeem'):

YLKAWTWLLHAK
TLL7M6MNK476
XJ6YNJ44LEF7
MNJM746YANRF
ATNHKK46YJT7

It might be a good idea for anyone that uses a code above to post here so that future readers are aware.

View attachment 642853
View attachment 642854 View attachment 642855 View attachment 642856

It would be great if you could put out a free trial version. Perhaps an app that worked for a week?

I'm looking for an app that would give my watch the same capability as my Fitbit surge in sleep monitoring.

Soundburst

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2006
Can someone tell me the point of sleep tracking apps?

I mean.... reading the data ..... comes after you've slept. So I'm just confused as to why reading about how you slept is remotely helpful?

Am I missing something

SMonroe

macrumors newbie
May 12, 2016

I mean.... reading the data ..... comes after you've slept. So I'm just confused as to why reading about how you slept is remotely helpful?

Am I missing something

Just another metric to track. I've had a Surge for the last couple years, it's interesting to see how many times I was restless during the night and my resting heart rate.

ohio.emt

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2008
Ohio

Am I missing something
For some people it's all about having data. If you have sleeping problems it can be helpful. Say you toss and turn all night, the app can help you track if anything you try to help it is working. If you have insomnia, it can help you keep track of if anything is helping you fall asleep faster.

Drtwin

macrumors member
Apr 26, 2015
Why is this app not available on all App Stores - ie it is not available in Croatian store?

YLKAWTWLLHAK
TLL7M6MNK476
XJ6YNJ44LEF7
MNJM746YANRF
ATNHKK46YJT7

View attachment 642853

MBHockey

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2003
Connecticut

YLKAWTWLLHAK
TLL7M6MNK476
XJ6YNJ44LEF7
MNJM746YANRF
ATNHKK46YJT7

View attachment 642853

Appreciate the effort to develop this sleep tracking app for WatchOS! I bought it from the app store today, so I'll give it a go tonight. To my surprise, when i opened the app on my iPhone for the first time, it showed a 5 hour sleep session from last week (which, i don't think is accurate). Is there a way to delete this and start fresh tonight? Where would it have even gotten this data?

WeatherMate

macrumors member
Mar 17, 2015
san francisco, california
The sleep tracking applications are used to monitor not only the sleep patterns at night but it also track the heart rates, it is a very helpful and compulsory application for people who have heart problems. With this app they can easily monitor their daily heart rates.

tivoboy

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2005
Seem to be a lot more apps out there these days. SO many with a pretty hefty AD overlay.

Can someone recommend one or a few that can simply do

Total time slept, don't need automatic time, I can select when to start and stop.
Track REM patterns and time?
Track movement and HR over time?

Graph this pattern on iphone?

racingbull

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2013
Seem to be a lot more apps out there these days. SO many with a pretty hefty AD overlay.

Can someone recommend one or a few that can simply do

Total time slept, don't need automatic time, I can select when to start and stop.
Track REM patterns and time?
Track movement and HR over time?

Graph this pattern on iphone?

Pillow is what I use.

racingbull

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2013
I think just some additional audio (alarms, white noise and stuff). Otherwise, the free app should be fully functional, if I remember correctly.

If I like an app, I usually buy the full version to support the developer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.