honglong1976

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 12, 2008
UK

MacKnut

macrumors newbie
Jan 15, 2020
I wonder how reliable such indirect "measures" can be- they are derived from a bunch of indirect parameters turned into an algorithm and are probably not better than guesswork.

Reactions: max2

FenC

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2016
Wellington, New Zealand
I wonder how reliable such indirect "measures" can be- they are derived from a bunch of indirect parameters turned into an algorithm and are probably not better than guesswork.
I use Autosleep and it appears remarkably accurate. I get much better data from the S4 and S5 than from the S0 I used to use. I have a feeling the S3 might be as good, but earlier series not so much. HRV is one of the bigger differences. S4 and S5 also record noise during your sleep, not sure if S3 does or not.

Better get battery life improved then...
Fair comment, but if you keep your old watch when you upgrade you can use that for sleep tracking with no battery worries. Given how much complaint there is on here about the worthlessness of used Watches then that makes lots of sense to me. I actually use an S4 Hermes for sleep tracking after buying it used very cheap to get the bands. As my S0 battery was swelling so I couldn't keep using it for sleep tracking it worked out to be a great deal for me.

I’m using a 3rd party app to track my sleep, so if it come standard on the S6, then I may upgrade my S4 sooner.
It will be a WatchOS 7 feature, not a Watch S6 feature I expect.

I guess I'll wait to see what the baked in sleep tracking is like before I decide which to use. Of course I can use both as Autosleep just bases its reports on data its granted access to in the Health data.

Reactions: navaira

StaceyMJ86

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2015
Washington, DC
I use Autosleep and it appears remarkably accurate. I get much better data from the S4 and S5 than from the S0 I used to use. I have a feeling the S3 might be as good, but earlier series not so much. HRV is one of the bigger differences. S4 and S5 also record noise during your sleep, not sure if S3 does or not.

Fair comment, but if you keep your old watch when you upgrade you can use that for sleep tracking with no battery worries. Given how much complaint there is on here about the worthlessness of used Watches then that makes lots of sense to me. I actually use an S4 Hermes for sleep tracking after buying it used very cheap to get the bands. As my S0 battery was swelling so I couldn't keep using it for sleep tracking it worked out to be a great deal for me.

I guess I'll wait to see what the baked in sleep tracking is like before I decide which to use. Of course I can use both as Autosleep just bases its reports on data its granted access to in the Health data.
I too use AutoSleep and it has been pretty accurate for me. One feature that I missed seeing is what times I awoke and fell back to sleep in the Health App.

JimmyBanks6

macrumors 6502
Oct 4, 2017
AutoSleep nails my sleep really accurately, which is very poor sleep where i wake up constantly.

I've had sleep issues for years and finally can monitor it properly to try and improve it.

max2

macrumors 68040
May 31, 2015
AutoSleep nails my sleep really accurately, which is very poor sleep where i wake up constantly.

I've had sleep issues for years and finally can monitor it properly to try and improve it.
Going to try AutoSleep hopefully it is not a monthly or yearly fee app.

Reactions: FenC

CC88

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2010
Me too use Autosleep from three months now.

What I don't understand is how to use the data and how to try to improve my sleep... What I have to do???

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors 604
Feb 14, 2008
Madison, WI

I too use AutoSleep and it has been pretty accurate for me. One feature that I missed seeing is what times I awoke and fell back to sleep in the Health App.

Going to try AutoSleep hopefully it is not a monthly or yearly fee app.

What I don't understand is how to use the data and how to try to improve my sleep... What I have to do???
I used AutoSleep and SleepWatch concurrently for a couple of weeks and always found the SleepWatch data more accurate. The "disturbances", i.e. wife coming to bed or getting up to use the bathroom, were more realistic for sure. AutoSleep would show 30 - 70 minutes of awake time while I remember getting right back to sleep. Things like that.

SleepWatch is also way more pretty and easier to read. I found the data in AutoSleep way too convoluted.

oeagleo

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2016
West Jordan, Utah
I use AutoSleep, and the hit on the battery is negligible. I wouldn't worry about battery life for sleep tracking, however, the SpO2 tracking is a completely different story.
I have a Garmin Fenix 6 Pro that does have the SpO2 tracking, and when it's enabled, there's a SERIOUS HIT on the battery. I'm talking a battery life per charge of around 10 days normal use without the SpO2 enabled, and when it is enabled, the battery life drops to at best, 5 days. How will Apple get around this? If SpO2 tracking cuts battery life in half, would the watch even be able to go 24 hours without a charge? Pretty much would render either the feature, or the watch useless, I'd say.

artfossil

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2015
Florida
I've been using SleepWatch for about 18 months. The data I collected helped my primary care physician and my sleep doctor diagnose my sleep disorder.

The monitoring I continue to do has had a significant and positive impact on the quality of my sleep and my overall health.

JimmyBanks6

macrumors 6502
Oct 4, 2017

The same thing you have to do for any study, keep everything consistent, except for 1 variable, change it and test for a few weeks, see if there are improvements or not.

Things such as:
-pillow [type, size, material]
-mattress [type, size, material]
-partner [separate or shared bed]
-screen use before bed
etc

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Pasadena, CA
Do these apps actually give you info that you can somehow use to sleep better? I avoid them because it will tell me what I already know and that will stress me out even more and cause even less sleep. How can these help me?

Reactions: spacemnspiff

Rangers94

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2014
I like this news not because I want sleep tracking (I can care less) but it means (Im assuming) Apple will need to improve battery life if they expect people to wear their watches to bed instead of charging overnight. This can only mean that much more battery life for those without interest in sleep tracking. :)

Significant1

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2014
I like this news not because I want sleep tracking (I can care less) but it means (Im assuming) Apple will need to improve battery life if they expect people to wear their watches to bed instead of charging overnight. This can only mean that much more battery life for those without interest in sleep tracking. :)
and/or add fast charging.

StaceyMJ86

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2015
Washington, DC
Do these apps actually give you info that you can somehow use to sleep better? I avoid them because it will tell me what I already know and that will stress me out even more and cause even less sleep. How can these help me?
I use the sleep tracking apps to see how much sleep I get at night. I don’t even stress over it.

matrix07

macrumors 603
Jun 24, 2010
It’s like any health data point. Did you stress out if you know your blood pressure is high? Does it help to know? etc..

Reactions: FenC

FenC

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2016
Wellington, New Zealand
The post above your question describes how you could use it.

Personally I’m fortunate that I don’t have sleep issues (though for years when I was younger I had trouble falling asleep); I just like having the stats. At worst it highlights to me that I don’t go to bed early enough when I have work the next day.

What I have learned is that exercising regularly produces a significant heart rate dip when sleeping, and I keep an eye on that statistic especially (along with the recovery parameter in the heart rate app) to confirm I’m keeping my heart healthy. That stat also makes it very clear that drinking alcohol makes sleep poorer.

All in all if you want something more than just how you feel to confirm whether a lifestyle change is beneficial, or if you just like the numbers because you can have them, then sleep tracking is great. If you don’t care, or don’t think you’d try to change anything to improve your sleep then probably not worth it.

oeagleo

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2016
West Jordan, Utah
What I have learned is that exercising regularly produces a significant heart rate dip when sleeping, and I keep an eye on that statistic especially (along with the recovery parameter in the heart rate app) to confirm I’m keeping my heart healthy. That stat also makes it very clear that drinking alcohol makes sleep poorer.
Which heart rate app are you referring to? I have searched for any form of recovery, and other than the 2 minute recovery stat in HeartWatch, I've found none. Fuule uses it, but it's subscription, and you have to use that app, and it doesn't transfer over to the Apple Activity "Rings".

FenC

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2016
Wellington, New Zealand
The built in Heart Rate app has 1 and 2 minute recovery on the watch after a workout; scroll to the bottom. I imagine it’s captured in Health also but I only look at it after a workout to check it looks good. You need to stop your workout on the watch as soon as you are done exercising as that’s what triggers the heart rate app to record the heart rate recovery data.
- - Post merged: - -

I Googled; It’s almost hidden.

If you open the Activity app on the iPhone, then select the Workouts section from the bottom icons, then tap on a workout, then swipe right to left on the heart rate graph it shows the heart rate recovery graph.

Phew!

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.