Sleep tracking - thoughts?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by sixxmum, Oct 15, 2014.

1. sixxmum macrumors 6502a

sixxmum

I've been using MotionX 24/7 for sleep tracking among other things. I like it, but today my alarm didn't go off. That, coupled with not having the phone available as a clock and having to sleep with it in the bed (and worrying I'll roll on it and somehow bend it or knock it on the floor) is just too much.

But, I would like to continue the sleep tracking, as it is providing some useful information that I can provide to my doctor with regard to treatment of a chronic autoimmune condition.

All that having been said, do you have any advice or thoughts on how to use the iPhone for sleep tracking effectively that doesn't involve putting it in bed with the user?

Thanks!

2. nburwell macrumors 68040

nburwell

I'm currently trying out the Sleepio app. While you don't have to place the phone under your pillow, you do have to remember to manually input data about your sleep the next morning. I believe there is another app that analyzes your sleep, but you have to buy some accessory that attaches to your pillow so you don't have to use your phone.

3. Ntombi macrumors 68040

Ntombi

I really like Sleep Cycle alarm clock. You do have to sleep with it, but it's sensitive enough that it's on the other side of my bed and still detects everything. It also works with HealthKit.

I don't know of any good solutions that don't include either sleeping with the phone or using a wearable.

4. thewhitetower macrumors member

thewhitetower

5. sixxmum thread starter macrumors 6502a

sixxmum

My spouse is on the other side of my bed and won't move out for the phone, so... ;)

I guess wearables are part of what I'm wondering about suggestions for. It's hard to tell which ones are decent for sleep tracking, if any, from reviews.

6. Jws macrumors regular

Depending on how much you want to spend (it's $300), you may want to look into the Withings Aura. It seems nice, but from impressions I've read there are some software inconsistencies that need to be addressed, especially if you sleep with a partner, for it to be as useful as it should be.

Personally, I have a Fitbit One, which I used briefly when I got it to track my sleep. You can set an alarm for it also, and it will vibrate to wake you up. Unlike the Jawbone Up and some other trackers, it doesn't take into consideration what kind of sleep you're in to determine exactly which moment to awaken you, however. It does provide graphs about movement during sleep: how long it takes you to fall asleep, quality of sleep, etc. That data never meant much to me since it didn't come with suggestions on improvements so I stopped using it for this purpose. Maybe that's some of what you're looking for in tracking your sleep, or maybe not, but that's the extent of my experience with it.

7. Traverse macrumors 603

Traverse

That has to use a lot of battery...

8. dweezle3 macrumors regular

dweezle3

It only works if you have the phone plugged in and charging.

9. Traverse macrumors 603

Traverse

But to charge the phone while it's in active use (even if the screen is off) isn't good for lithium ion batteries is it?

10. Ntombi macrumors 68040

Ntombi

Actually, Sleep Cycle reminds you to plug it in, but will work fine without it.

Forgot to add that the app uses your movements to decide when (within a window you set) to wake you. It tries to wake you when you're already sleeping lightly. My window is 30 minutes, and I like how it works.

11. Gmcube macrumors regular

Thats funny, my alarm failed to go off today too. (iphone 4 though). Wonder what causes this.

12. Breezygirl macrumors 6502

Breezygirl

The Jawbone UP24 is amazing, and a great tracker of sleep, activity, diet..... One of my favourite features is the sleep tracking.

----------

Also want to add that the Jawbone UP app and data work with the Apple Health App. Some of the other trackers such as Fitbit have no plans to in the near future.