Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

totom_

macrumors member
Original poster
May 5, 2020
Am I blind or is there no way to enable sleep tracking/sleep mode unless you set an alarm? Can I somehow get sleep tracking without setting my schedule, as I have no alarms on the weekends for example?

Reactions: MacRealist91

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
I use autosleep also, it's pretty good about just detecting when you're asleep as long as you're wearing the watch.
it will even pick up those quick on the couch naps that sometimes happen.

Reactions: Tagbert and totom_

totom_

macrumors member
Original poster
May 5, 2020
Not with the native app, so far as I am aware. if I am wrong, hopefully, someone will correct me.

You could use the app “AutoSleep.” It can do what you like.

I use autosleep also, it's pretty good about just detecting when you're asleep as long as you're wearing the watch.
it will even pick up those quick on the couch naps that sometimes happen.

Thanks guys! I just saw it syncs the info to Apple Health. I will try it!

Reactions: Apple_Robert

Pink2

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2020
I also use AutoSleep, and love it. To turn off alarm that you are referring to you should be able to turn it off in the clock app. I have mine set to have separate sleep schedules for week days and weekends but no alarm on either.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
I also use a 3rd party app (Sleep++). But you can set a sleep schedule in the Health app, and the watch will track your sleep without having to set an alarm. However, if you fall asleep outside the time set in your sleep schedule, it doesn't register. So overall, 3rd party apps are better.

reeney

macrumors member
Oct 6, 2014
Tucson
Am I blind or is there no way to enable sleep tracking/sleep mode unless you set an alarm? Can I somehow get sleep tracking without setting my schedule, as I have no alarms on the weekends for example?
There is a choice for no alarm. You must set a time schedule but I make wakeup later so it does not even jiggle as it turns off sleep focus.

azhava

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2010
Arizona, USA
I have my sleep schedule set from midnight - 7:00 am, with no alarm. I activate Sleep Focus on my phone (mirrored to my watch) when I go to bed, and it either turns off automatically at the end of my sleep schedule (7:00 am), or if I get up earlier than that I turn off Sleep Focus manually. It tracks my sleep fine every night doing it that way.

Reactions: Graham4723

papbot

macrumors 68020
May 19, 2015
As mentioned above setting a schedule will initiate tracking, no alarm necessary. Or manually activating the sleep focus from the watch’s control center will initiate tracking without a schedule.

Hankster

macrumors 68020
Jan 30, 2008
Washington DC
No, the watch needs to have a schedule to know WHEN to track your sleeping. You don't need to actually SLEEP and WAKE per the schedule. The schedule is to tell the watch to begin tracking. Also, the alarm is not required. It is optional. I've been using the Ultra for sleep tracking since launch. No Focus. No Alarm. I set it to start at 11pm and end at 8am. I sleep well after 11pm and wake up well before 8am, but it starts tracking and shows the timeline throughout the night.

However, the alarm on the watch is very nice. It doesn't trigger the iPhone and starts with vibrating on your wrist slowly then harder. It also has several nice tones to choose from. I greatly prefer it over the iPhone alarm which is WAY too loud. I've used the watch alarm several times and it doesn't wake my spouse. It's perfect IMO.

Reactions: papbot

papbot

macrumors 68020
May 19, 2015
The alarms do work well, but I’m retired so rarely if ever use them. Sleep focus is turned on automatically when you‘ve set a schedule or without a schedule can be initiated from control center on the watch. Either way tracking will occur.

txscott

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2012
I do not know about the quality of the tracking Apple vs AutoSleep, some say the Apple app is more accurate but opinions differ. The implementation of the Apple App is not good though. Needs to be like Santa Clause and just know when you are sleeping vs awake without any setup of a schedule. What if I take a nap in the afternoon, is that counted?

And integration with focus is a bad idea. Focus is my most hated app. I just want a setting that turns all audible and haptic notifications off from 7PM to 7AM except for a small list of people. That used to be easy to do. Apple is getting entirely too anal about schedules. I want less of them rather than more.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.