Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cjscribe

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 8, 2008
I am very close to buying my first MBP and I have been visiting this forum frequently to learn as much as I can before making my purchase.
The only question I have for now is if you clamshell the MPB, is that the same as selecting sleep on the menu? If not, what is the difference?

Thanks.

Sirus2400

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2008
I am very close to buying my first MBP and I have been visiting this forum frequently to learn as much as I can before making my purchase.
The only question I have for now is if you clamshell the MPB, is that the same as selecting sleep on the menu? If not, what is the difference?

Thanks.
If by clamshell you mean close, then yes its the same as putting it to sleep.

MacGeek7

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2007
If by clamshell you mean "close the lid", then yes, it is the same thing as selecting sleep from the menu bar

bigandy

macrumors G3
Apr 30, 2004
Murka
You can only use the MBP with lid closed with a keyboard, monitor and mouse attached. Obviously.

Once these are connected, close the lid and the MBP will sleep. Press enter on your external keyboard and it'll fire back up in lid closed mode.

Is that what you're after?

You can only use the MBP with lid closed with a keyboard, monitor and mouse attached. Obviously.

Once these are connected, close the lid and the MBP will sleep. Press enter on your external keyboard and it'll fire back up in lid closed mode.

Is that what you're after?

I never really thought about doing that, but it is nice that I have the option...

Thanks for the tip, bigandy! :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.