sleep vs hibernate

Discussion in 'macOS' started by coltrane58, Sep 7, 2012.

1. coltrane58 macrumors newbie

I do most of my work on a mac mini and have an external drive hanging off it for backups. I also have a macbook pro. I would like to have the macbook backup to a partition on the external drive. It seems that when my mini goes to sleep after a specified time the macbook backup continues. This sort of tells me that the mini can still do some processing. If I don't wait for the sleep to kick in and I perform a command-option eject the mini immediately goes to sleep and the macbook backup halts. So am I correct to assume that these 2 types of "sleep" are different? Maybe one is a sleep and the other a hybernate? If this is the case when the system "falls asleep" after a specified time, does it ever go into a hibernate mode or will it always be able to perform network tasks?

much thanks for the help
    john

2. Alameda macrumors 6502a

Alameda

Most likely, the power preferences of your Mini put the display to sleep before the Mini itself goes to sleep. That's why the backup continues... your Mini isn't asleep at all.

3. coltrane58 thread starter macrumors newbie

so, here's the deal, I set the computer sleep and display sleep timeouts to 1 minute. After a minute the monitor went blank as expected. I waited another 10 minutes just for giggles. I was still able to access the mini's external drive. One thing I did notice is that when I put the mini to sleep with the command-option eject sequence the light on the front of the mini starts to very slowly blink. When the mini goes "sleep" after the timeout the light stays on. I know there are ways to run linux based commands to change the sleep/hibernate levels so this might be a case of different levels of sleep. I will have to perform a test tonight to see if the time out sleep mode ever switches to the blinking kind of sleep.
    thanks for the help
    john