Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

3rdiguy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 17, 2012
It seems to me that now that I have ios 7 on my iPhone 5 that the sleep/wake button requires a more dedicated push to sleep the screen. Before, I could just press it quickly and the screen would shut off but now after numerous attempts, it seems as if I have to hold the button just an instant longer to shut the screen off. I tried different ways and any way that wasn't the long press would just blink the screen but the long press would complete the action. I thought it was a hardware problem until I repeated the action multiple times. Maybe it was done so there will be fewer screen shutdowns due to accidentally pressing the button. Am I the only one who has experienced this?

fmalloy

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2007
It seems to me that now that I have ios 7 on my iPhone 5 that the sleep/wake button requires a more dedicated push to sleep the screen.

The button is just a simple single-contact switch. Has nothing to do with how "dedicated" you push it.

It might be that instead of an immediate sleep to black screen, there is a very short fade out. You might be subconsciously holding it until it's completely black, but you don't need to.

Same on wake - there is a short delay while the lock screen fades in instead of just appearing. You don't need to hold it.

3rdiguy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 17, 2012
After reading the replies, I think it may be a new thing with iOS 7 animation effect. I think.

ezhilk

macrumors member
May 15, 2011
Michigan
I think you're reaching here...

Nope, I came here just to ask the same question, if anyone else is facing the same issue. My sleep button used to work fine with just one press on ios 6 but with 7, every once in a while I am finding myself having to press the button twice or thrice to get the phone to sleep.

robots3humans0

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2009
London, Ontario
After reading the replies, I think it may be a new thing with iOS 7 animation effect. I think.

I would say it is. Lots of people have complained about the increased animation time for the screen to fade in and fade out. Just a new effect in iOS 7. Smooth (albeit slower) transitions.

Nope, I came here just to ask the same question, if anyone else is facing the same issue. My sleep button used to work fine with just one press on ios 6 but with 7, every once in a while I am finding myself having to press the button twice or thrice to get the phone to sleep.

If you actually have to hit the button 2 or 3 times to shut the screen off and it's not just impatience due to the animation, you have a hardware issue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.