Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brdwygurl

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 23, 2010
My phone has had intermittent sleep wake button issues and qualifies for the program. I know they were offering 350 as a trade-in instead of the repair. Has anyone tried lately? I'm wondering If they still offer it, and if I could do that to get a 6.

I'm not near enough to a store to stop in and ask but I would make the trip if they would do that.

TWO2SEVEN

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2010
Plano, TX
My phone has had intermittent sleep wake button issues and qualifies for the program. I know they were offering 350 as a trade-in instead of the repair. Has anyone tried lately? I'm wondering If they still offer it, and if I could do that to get a 6.

I'm not near enough to a store to stop in and ask but I would make the trip if they would do that.

I would give them a call so you don't waste a trip.

minimac

macrumors member
Jan 29, 2003
DE
I was in an Apple Store about a week ago and my phone also qualifies for the sleep/wake issue. They told me that it would add $80 to the trade in value that was quoted from the Apple trade in website. This was for an iPhone 5 and I'll be trading it in for a 6 on the 19th.

brdwygurl

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 23, 2010
I was in an Apple Store about a week ago and my phone also qualifies for the sleep/wake issue. They told me that it would add $80 to the trade in value that was quoted from the Apple trade in website. This was for an iPhone 5 and I'll be trading it in for a 6 on the 19th.

Thanks! That's what I am hoping to do

Gator24765

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2009
Texas
Good to know. Thanks, my phone has this same issue. I never could get it replaced because I didn't want to be without my phone for a week or so.

t0mat0

macrumors 603
Aug 29, 2006
Home
You only have 2 years from the date of purchase - you better check your purchase date.
The prices for trade in are relateed to the company Apple uses to sell the handsets on - the prices has been falling.

dcorban

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2007
Thanks for this thread. I have been having this sleep button problem for a few months now. I wasn't aware it was a common issue. I'm going to take my phone in for repair tomorrow.

Good to know. Thanks, my phone has this same issue. I never could get it replaced because I didn't want to be without my phone for a week or so.

Apple offers a loaner 16GB phone while yours is being repaired.

Gator24765

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2009
Texas
You only have 2 years from the date of purchase - you better check your purchase date.
The prices for trade in are relateed to the company Apple uses to sell the handsets on - the prices has been falling.

The date of purchase or the date received in the mail?

Like... date of pre-order or the release date? I got the iPhone 5 on release day 2012

t0mat0

macrumors 603
Aug 29, 2006
Home
The date of purchase or the date received in the mail?

Like... date of pre-order or the release date? I got the iPhone 5 on release day 2012

I can't say for sure - I've got the receipt date - and looking to go in and sort it by that date out as a credit at some point (21st sept, so basically i'll likely queue up for launch day and ask to do the credit then - if you want it refurbished you'll need a genius appt due to the paperwork it takes to do, but for trade in it's quicker)/

MVallee

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2007
Ontario, Canada
I just did this in Canada last week with my 64gb iPhone 5. Was given two gift cards, one for $225 (the trade in value) and one for $100 (the extra to cover the sleep wake button). They make you buy a new phone right there so I bought a 5S and have 14 days to return it. I'll return the 5S when I go line up on launch day.

minimac

macrumors member
Jan 29, 2003
DE
Well, I didn't get the extra $80 for trading in my phone with the sleep/wake issue. The Apple Store told me that they ended that program last week. :mad:

dcorban

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2007
I tried this yesterday and was only offered $205. I'm just going to get it repaired and hope for the best with a Kijiji sale.

DipDog3

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2002
Took my sleep/wake broken iPhone 5 to the Apple Store today & asked about trading it in. I was told that I had to wait until I get the phone fixed before I could trade it in. How stupid is that?

pdxmatts

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2013
Portland, OR
Well, I didn't get the extra $80 for trading in my phone with the sleep/wake issue. The Apple Store told me that they ended that program last week. :mad:

How can it be over? You have until 2yrs from the date of purchase for the issue. Did they mean for extra trade in value? Or, the whole recall repair?

----------

I am eligible and I just checked mine. 32gb unlocked and it is only worth $180.. That's sad, it is in pristine condition.. :(

minimac

macrumors member
Jan 29, 2003
DE
Sorry, to be clear it was the extra trade in value that was no longer being offered. The repair would still have been covered within the 2 years.

How can it be over? You have until 2yrs from the date of purchase for the issue. Did they mean for extra trade in value? Or, the whole recall repair?

----------

I am eligible and I just checked mine. 32gb unlocked and it is only worth $180.. That's sad, it is in pristine condition.. :(

pdxmatts

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2013
Portland, OR
Just spoke with a Genius bar manager and he confirmed that the extra trade in value offer is over and you would only get what the site gives for a trade in value or send for repair. Wish I would have found out about this recall earlier. Kind of a bummer since the trade in value is tanking right now :(

darkonex

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2014
You can still get this fixed for free even after 2 years, at least mine was. I had my phone in hand for over 2 years by about a week and I chatted them on their website and just told them that my sleep/wake button had been completely nonfunctional for a year or so, which was true. They sent me a box to ship it in and for free they fixed it and was surpised to see that they also replaced the battery and camera (no idea why they did that). Total turnaround was just 1 week.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.