Sleep Wake Issues MBP 13.3" 2.26

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by 8theapple, Jul 11, 2009.

1. 8theapple macrumors regular

So my laptop became unresponsive after sleeping over night. The led light was on but the screen was black and my bluetooth keyboard was not responding. I had to complete a hard reboot (holding down the power button for a long time) and subsequently all my work I had not previously saved was lost. This is the second time this has happened (both after the firmware update to SATA 3.0). I looked online and solution was to reset PRAM but I've already done that at least once or twice.

I was initially thinking maybe it was one of my peripherals but I never had a sleep/wake issue on my old unibody aluminum mac 2.0. It's the same setup.

Does anyone have any other suggestions, tips and experience with the issue? Is this hardware related and if so should I exchange my laptop?

2. alecapple macrumors regular

I had the same problem, only i was using the computer and it froze, and nothing I tried to do to fix it worked. So i called apple described what happened, and they told me that i could get it exchanged, so call apple and describe whats going on and they should let you exchange it, and if they offer to fix it, be firm about getting a brand new one.

Btw, i tried to reinstall the os, and that didnt work, but when i called they wanted to make sure that i had done that so they may ask you do do that. all i did was stick the restore disc in and follow instructions.

Good luck!

3. 8theapple thread starter macrumors regular

I reset PRAM and SMC. And on the 3rd sleep try, the computer is unresponsive upon wake.

This one is going back.

Does anyone know the exchange policy? I purchased my computer at the Apple Store on July 3 under the educational promotion with free iPod touch. And will this affect my ipod touch rebate? I have not cut the upc from the computer box yet.

Please help.

4. GeekGirl* macrumors 65816

GeekGirl*

5. Z06jerry macrumors regular

Did you put in 3rd party ram by any chance? I had sleep issues after replacing the ram on my wife's uMB. Had to go back to stock to resolve sleep issues.

6. 8theapple thread starter macrumors regular

Hey, no, my computer is bone stock. No games or upgrades.

7. Z06jerry macrumors regular

original hard drive too?

8. orpheus1120 macrumors 65816

orpheus1120

OP said there is no upgrade. So how can the hd not be stock?

9. 8theapple thread starter macrumors regular

Yes, it's stock.

10. Z06jerry macrumors regular

OP might have swapped it with the one out of his 2.0 uMB (they are both the same 160gb), in which case this would create problems.

11. 8theapple thread starter macrumors regular

Huh? Why would someone do that?

I sold my old uMB 2.0 weeks before buying the new 13' MBP. No upgrades and bone stock would mean the computer is completely stock from the factory.

12. Z06jerry macrumors regular

To avoid copying over all your apps & files, some people would just swap the drives. This works fine if the hardware is the same but not from the uMB to uMBP.

I have no way of knowing that you sold your uMB earlier, I'm not a mind reader, I know from experience that faulty ram & the hard drive swap can cause the symptoms you are describing, just trying to be helpful, afterall that is what you asked for...

13. 8theapple thread starter macrumors regular

I appreciate your help. But when I initially responded that my computer had no upgrades and was bone stock (many times) - I'm not sure how much help asking me if I upgraded my ram or changed out my hd was?

14. Z06jerry macrumors regular

actually you didn't indicate that it was bone stock until after I asked if you had upgraded the ram, and if you had swapped the hard drive with your previous uMB it could still be considered stock as the hard drives are the same in both computers. ;)