Sleep with Apple Watch: risk of scratching

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by ipaddaro, Oct 19, 2018.

1. ipaddaro macrumors regular

Hi,
    i have AW4 SS. I'm thinking of starting sleeping with is in order to monitor sleep quality/heartrate..

provided that at the moment i find this unconfortable, in your experience there is high chance to damage the watch while in the bed?

I'm not afraid of smashing it, but i will lay on it and rub it agains the pillow, sheets and so on.. of course.

I know that a little grain of sand or something hard will scratch it for sure, and that SS is prone to scratches in general, but according to your esperience sleeping with AW will wear the watch consistently?

I'm afrain in particular to scratch the sceen... (i have AppleCare+, but i know it doesn't cover cosmetic damages, and in any case i wouldn't use it for such little damage)

2. KarimLeVallois macrumors 68000

KarimLeVallois

Unless your bed sheets are made of corrugated steel and you sleep on top of a sand pit, you'll be fine! lol

Joking aside, the only thing that will cause damage is if you swing your arm around while moving and have bedside cabinets, or a hard headboard. The other thing would be if you share the bed with someone and they have a diamond ring on or something... Other than that, you have no worries.

3. ipaddaro thread starter macrumors regular

:-D

thank you. the chances of hitting it against something hard is very low... i'm just a little bit afraid because i got micro scratches after 2 days and i don't know how (i suspect SS loop band, but not sure)...

4. KarimLeVallois macrumors 68000

KarimLeVallois

Do you have the SBSS milanese loop, that'll scratch anything! Or are you saying the SS milanese has scratched the case? It shouldn't have scratched the screen to be honest.

5. ipaddaro thread starter macrumors regular

no no, i didn't explain well.. regular SS, but scracthed only the case, not the screen

i think a grain of sand or so could scratch the sapphire screen

6. KarimLeVallois macrumors 68000

KarimLeVallois

Sapphire is pretty scratch resistant, so don't worry about that. I've had multiple SS Apple Watches and never had a scratch on any of the screens. I've knocked them against machines at the gym, doors, railings...

The SS case will get scratched no matter how careful you are, but at least you can polish them out if need be. I wouldn't recommend wearing the milanese for sleeping though as it may catch on the covers and come undone. Sports band or sports loop may be a better option?

7. Ad13 macrumors regular

Just make sure your other ‘toys’ are out of the bed and you’ll be fine!

8. KarimLeVallois macrumors 68000

KarimLeVallois

Rubber wouldn't scratch the watch though!

9. techno-Zen macrumors 6502a

techno-Zen

If it hits my morning wood. My watch would literally shatter.. It's hard to miss

10. KarimLeVallois macrumors 68000

KarimLeVallois

Wood wouldn't scratch sapphire though, only shatter! Now, if Colossus from X-Men had morning glory that would be a different story...

11. ipaddaro thread starter macrumors regular

:-D i'll double check..
    --- Post Merged, Oct 19, 2018 ---
    i would use for sure my sport loop!

12. Akrapovic macrumors 6502

Akrapovic

I sleep with mine on every night - no problems with scratches.

13. srshaw macrumors 6502

I've slept with my s0 most nights. I normall charge it just before going to bed. It's useful to turn the phone alarm off. I'll continue to do the same with the s4.

I don't think it's had any issue at all, and that's probably with a years worth of using the Milanese loop, which tends to be the band I use most.

14. alexcue macrumors 6502

alexcue

I've been sleeping with my Apple watches for years now. Never had an issue with a scratch. Now out in the real world I've banged them up pretty good. Bedroom no problem. My SS one doesn't have a mark on it. Case or Crystal.

15. staggerlee41 macrumors 6502a

staggerlee41

I've slept with my AW Aluminum for 2 years and not a single scratch either.

16. ipaddaro thread starter macrumors regular

i've started sleeping with it... no problems so far. and in any case, i won't care for micro scratches provided that SS model will be scratched in any case after few time

17. DennisdeWit macrumors 6502

DennisdeWit

I sleep next to a wall. As I tend to wake up at a conpletely different side of the bed as where I fell asleep, I will certainly not sleep with my Watch on.

I even sleep with my Watch-arm under my pillow, so I don’t think it’s a good idea.

18. Closingracer macrumors 68040

Lol I’ve ended up on the floor and didn’t notice until I woke up so the same for me

19. Dwood1970 macrumors regular

I have no problem whatsoever. I’ve been sleeping with my series 3 for a year and no scratches.

20. squirrrl macrumors 6502a

squirrrl

Needles are probably fine enough to scratch it