sleeping apps

ilikewhey

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 14, 2014
nyc upper east
i did my research awhile back, and decided to go with pillow, however the amount of manual input to start each session is a bit off putting, what do you guys recommend in terms of sleep tracking. please share your opinion.

Significant1

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2014
What do you input? I have Pillow and autosleep installed on my phone, but not on my watch. They analyze on data Apple is already collecting (If Apple wanted I bet they already could do sleep analysis, but that it is a political decision due to battery-life), so I am not inputting anything.

I might not be the best person to comment though, because I don't really care about sleep analysis. I am mainly interested in HRV which autosleep allows to dig into and also present it as a readiness scale. So due to this and that you have to enable rotation in Pillow to see everything, means I hardly use it, though I think it's visualisation is easier to understand, compared to autosleep, where you drown in data.

Reactions: ilikewhey

BasicGreatGuy

macrumors G5
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
I use automatic Pillow with my watch. No need to input anything each night. It has been pretty accurate for me. I tried the manual version of Pillow and found I really didn’t need it. Also, I got tired of having to set it up each night. I paid $7.38 for a years subscription. I am pleased thus far.

I also have Autosleep that I bought previously which is accurate as well albeit, I don’t care for the layout.

oeagleo

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2016
West Jordan, Utah
I use Auto Sleep, and as a backup Sleepwatch, mainly because I had purchased both. I like the layout in Auto Sleep, and I do like the option of the "Lights Out" feature where it will take the time you get in bed, and how long it takes to actually fall asleep. I find the data is quite accurate, to the point that I really don't care if Apple develops a sleep tracking app at all, this one works for me, and gives me more insight than I need.
Sleepwatch is a much more simple app, but still does break down your sleep patterns with good data, giving you a "sleep score" that indicates roughly how well you slept. I've found it to be pretty darn accurate.
Just my 2c worth.

Lyn2012

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2007
I started using Pillow but was unable to see any historical data without a subscription. So as I never buy subscription apps, I now use AutoSleep which I’m happy with.

nickdalzell1

macrumors 6502a
Dec 8, 2019
I use Autosleep as well, and since it integrates with HeartWatch (same developer) it offers some additional stats in both apps as well.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

ilikewhey

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 14, 2014
nyc upper east
Right now I’m using pillow and it drains my battery life crazy, does auto sleep do that too, I basically have to wait 30 mins before going to gym in the morning cause I have to recharge the watch

nickdalzell1

macrumors 6502a
Dec 8, 2019
Autosleep seems to have negligible effect on battery life. I charge my AW5 from 7PM to 9PM and go to bed at 10PM with it in Theatre mode (AOD keeps me up at night). I wake up with anywhere from 84-91% battery after 8-9 hours sleep.

TheSkywalker77

Contributor
Sep 9, 2017
Right now I’m using pillow and it drains my battery life crazy, does auto sleep do that too, I basically have to wait 30 mins before going to gym in the morning cause I have to recharge the watch
Really? I charge my watch before bed and use Pillow and my watch is at 95% by the time I wake up. Easily gets me through the day.