Sleeping bag suggestions / Phillipines questions

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by muffinman, Jun 18, 2008.

1. muffinman macrumors 6502

muffinman

Hey there.

Do any of you know of a good light sleeping bag that can be shoved into a small bag instead of having to roll it up? I will be in parts of the phillipines during July (hot and humid) and will be moving around the country (both rural and urban) with only a backpack and a duffle bag, so portability is key. Any suggestions?

Also, does anyone know how bad the mosquito/malaria situation is there? I've decided to take mosquito netting, but I'm not exactly sure how big or small of a mosquito tent I should take. Any suggestions on this?

I've gotten a doctor's prescription for the malaria medication (I forget the exact name, not chloroquine), but are there any other diseases I should prepare for? I'm only going to be there for 2.5 weeks, but I would rather be prepared than not.

Thanks!

2. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

Get a high-degree, synthetic bag. The higher the degree, the lighter it will be, and although a down feather bag would pack smaller, a synthetic bag will resist wetness (humidity/sweat) and dry quicker.

One of these will work. You can just stuff any of these into their stuff sack. No need for rolling.

I have an REI brand bag, and I like it a lot, if you're looking for a brand suggestion.