Sleeping Disconnects Network Share

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ee99ee, Jul 21, 2007.

1. ee99ee macrumors 6502

ee99ee

I have several network shares that I mount admittedly via command-line using mount_smbfs. I mount them in /Volumes/<share_name>. It works fine, and has worked great on my PowerMac G5 for almost a year. I mount them on my macbook now as well, but I have a slight problem.

Each time I put the macbook to sleep (that is, close the lid), when it wakes back up the shares are disconnected and I have to re-mount them. This is very annoying.

Is there a way to auto-remount a share after sleeping? Maybe if I mounted them via some GUI method that would work?

-Chris

2. techmonkey macrumors 6502a

I have the exact same issue. You say this didnt happen on your Powerbook? What it running the same OS version?

Ive been searching for a solution since I received my MBP last month. VERY annoying!

3. ee99ee thread starter macrumors 6502

ee99ee

4. techmonkey macrumors 6502a

Ive been searching high and low for a solution. I tried using the SleepWatcher script I found on another site, but it doesnt seem to work correctly (or im not that great with the command line).

What I find most annoying is the message box that pops up when waking up. I wish it would reconnect of course, but why does it insist on giving you the message and then have you click on the unmount button.

Pretty weak. Like I said, this is my major complaint so far with OSX.

5. rockstarjoe macrumors 6502a

rockstarjoe

Worst part about OSX, hands down. I get around this by creating a workflow to mount all of my network shares, then save it as an application and put it in the dock, so I have one-click re-mounting. The other option is to go to power save and uncheck "allow drives to sleep". This won't help with deep sleep though.

6. techmonkey macrumors 6502a

I tried doing this, but the workflow only works sometimes, other times I get an error. If I create a workflow for each drive, it works. I dont get it. From what ive read, using Samba isnt very reliable. I wish I could use AFP to connect to windows.

7. techmonkey macrumors 6502a

old thead but im curious if anyone knows if Leopard fixed this issue?

8. meagain macrumors 68030

Leopard allow me to see them for the first time, but the Extreme router is kicking them off periodically and I'm trying to puzzle out what I was doing to elicit that. But overall, mine is sticking pretty well now.

9. techmonkey macrumors 6502a

What do you mean "allows me to see them for the first time" ?

10. meagain macrumors 68030

See them in my finder. I assume we're talking about external devices?

11. techmonkey macrumors 6502a

Read the original post on this thread. I am talking about network shares disconnecting when you put your Mac to sleep and not getting reconnected when waking.

12. pitt1717 macrumors regular

i had that same issue in tiger. its prob the biggest reason i moved to leopard. and now in leopard shares work pretty much as expected. my computer sleeps, wake it up and they are there waiting for me in the finder. so it looks like leopard did in fact address this issue

13. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

The issue is the Airport loses it's IPV6 address after sleeping.

Restart your router then restart the Airport.It will then get the renewed IPV6 and all shares will re-appear.

14. techmonkey macrumors 6502a

Are you saying you should manually restart the router every time you wake your Mac??

15. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

No.I'm saying whenever your Mac renews the DHCP license it loses the IPV6 address causing the shares to disappear.If you dont have an IPV6 address in the TCP/IP in your network setting restarting the router will renew the DHCP on the Mac thus giving you a new IPV6 address.

It all depends on how often you have to renew it.