Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Alvi

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 31, 2008
Mars
Hi guys i might get the new MBP once it comes out and i wonder what's better when I'm not using my Mac overnight and so on, turning it off or just sleeping it?
Apple clearly states in every manual
If you aren’t going to use your MacBook Pro for a couple of days or longer, it’s best to shut it down.
What's better for the Computer life? What does sleeping mean? It just turns Hard drives and the screen of or does it save the state of the computer on the HD and it almost turns off? The first time i read i say "Oh BS i'll turn it off every time i don't use it, now i want to know the truth :)

CylonGlitch

macrumors 68030
Jul 7, 2009
Nashville
I only turn off my machine when I have to. Works great. Sleep is perfect, it just stores off all states, and keeps the hardware in low power mode. Then when you lift the lid it wakes everything up in a second or two. Love the feature.

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
i wonder what's better when I'm not using my Mac overnight and so on, turning it off or just sleeping it?

If you're using your Mac overnight, then YOU are not sleeping enough! ;)

The controversy over which is "better" will rage forever. Do what works for you. And get some sleep!

John Doe 57

macrumors 65816
Jan 26, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
For me personally, shutting down my MBP every night works best. If I put it to sleep, I notice slow downs and pauses/glitches the very next day during use.

Chappers

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2003
At home
Sleep for me - just close lid. If I were to leave it and not use it for a few days (is this possible) then I would power her down.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.