Sleeping MB PRO while transporting advice

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by JLH81, Aug 23, 2016.

1. JLH81 macrumors newbie

Hi all!

I have two questions for you guys.

1. I have a 2015 MB Pro model with the 256 SSD. I just started graduate school, and will need to transport my computer to and from work to school, etc. I purchased one of those backpacks that has a section for your computer in the rear of it, and then your books, etc in the front of it. I know with the older computers with hard drives you would want to shut it down, however, with the new SSD should I shut down or can I just sleep it? If I do sleep it, will that create too much heat (may sit for hours in the bag). I would appreciate all help/advice.

2. Do any of you use a keyboard cover? My keyboard is starting to get dirty. I bought some wipes to clean it, but was thinking about maybe investing in a cover to protect the keyboard. Has anyone tried one? If so, what did you think? I am not sure if it would be to "rubberish."

Thanks all!

2. MaxMike macrumors 6502

If it stays in sleep, there shouldn't really be any amount of heat generated. Just have to be careful that say if you have Bluetooth accessories like a Magic Mouse that it is off so that it won't wake up the MacBook. My old HP laptop woke up from sleep unexpectedly while in my backpack in high school and when I opened the bag, the inside was like an oven and the fans were at full speed. But the SSD has no moving parts, so it isn't affected by being moved around or shock (but other components potentially can be).

I personally don't use a keyboard cover, but tons of people get the Moshi cover. I tried it on a friend's once and it was a bit rubbery, but she also practically would use her MBP as a plate so it helped a lot. I have alcohol-based cleaner with a lint-free cloth that I'm using to wipe down the keyboard and get any dirt out from between the keys. The cover would probably also help with oils from your fingers being absorbed into the keys and causing the shiny feel/look after using a keyboard constantly.

3. JLH81 thread starter macrumors newbie

My concerns were that of it being able to dissipate heat well enough through the keyboard. Also, my hands tend to be sweaty. I really don't want to get a nasty keyboard, but those silicon feel weird (based on amazon reviews). Plus, i love how the bare keyboard feels. Is there any type of spray protectant or anything?

4. Rhinoevans macrumors 6502

FWIW, I NEVER sleep my MBP..have read to many post with sleeping problems..don't really see the benefit...maybe I am just to old school...for what it's worth...

5. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68040

When the lid/screen is closed, a Magic Mouse cannot wake it up. (In response to MaxMike)

6. MaxMike macrumors 6502

I just did with my MBP.

In response to the OP, the retina MBP models draw in air from the openings along the sides for its cooling system.

7. Spudlicious macrumors 6502

Spudlicious

I stand with this man. Or woman. Just close your apps and turn the computer off, why not?

8. jerryk macrumors 68040

Add me to the list that always turns their systems off before transporting it. With new SSDs the system shuts down or boots in a few seconds.

9. JTToft macrumors 68040

There's no issue sleeping it when moving from place to place. It's the intended use.

10. Fishrrman macrumors G5

Fishrrman

OP wrote:
    "I know with the older computers with hard drives you would want to shut it down, however, with the new SSD should I shut down or can I just sleep it? If I do sleep it, will that create too much heat (may sit for hours in the bag). I would appreciate all help/advice."

You can probably go either way.
    The new MBPros boot so quickly that it's probably just as easy to shut down for a few hours and reboot later on.

I prefer a "clean start" to sleeping it.
    But that's just me.

Some folks seem to have sleep/wake problems.
    Try both ways.
    See what works best for you.
    Then, go with "what works".

11. Spudlicious macrumors 6502

Spudlicious

On the question of keyboard covers, I don't use them because a) I don't see a need, and b) they can only look naff.

12. snaky69 macrumors 603

1. Use sleep, that's exactly what it's for. A SSD or HDD makes no difference at all in this situation, you can use sleep no matter what with no ill effects.

2. No, they ruin keyboard feel and make imprints on your screen and can lead to scratches.