Sleeping my display with a Mouse Button

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Spradle, Jun 26, 2012.

1. Spradle macrumors newbie

Hello, I am wondering if there is anyway I can go about setting a special button on my mouse to put my display to sleep. I have a Logitec vx revolution mouse on a IMAC. I have downloaded the software but there is no option I see that I can do this. I can do many other things like mission control, or front/back on webpages, zoom, search etc. But I do not see an option to put my display to sleep. There is the option if I want to use hot corners, but they aren't really my thing. I can also set my mouse to a modifier button (I can make a button on my mouse equivalent to pushing control, or option) So maybe I need to figure out how to set my option button to put the display to sleep?

Or is there another program that can enable this for me?
    Anything?

Thanks for your help.

2. Big-TDI-Guy, Jun 26, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2012

Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

Not sure about the Logitech software - but if you can tie in a modifier key to the "search" button on the VX mouse - then assign your display sleep to Modifier Key + one of the other keys on your mouse. I did this for zoom with my MX. However I've been using Steermouse for the interface, as that provided me with a much more stable solution than Logitech (years ago), and I've just stuck with it since.

Edit: Have you considered Hot Corner + Modifier Button? That's how I sleep my display, personally, without worrying about a false activation.

3. Spradle thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah I'm not sure how to tie the modifier key to search button on the mouse.

And as far as the hot corners. . . Yeah I always accidentally activate them : /

4. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

Again, not sure if Logitech software allows that, but Steermouse does allow you to assign just about anything.

Try hot corners again, but when you select the hot corner you want (on the preference pane), hold "Shift" or "Command" - whatever you'd rather. It should show that key combo appear, and then it won't be triggered unless you're doing both at once.

5. Razorhog macrumors 65816

Razorhog

I know you want to use a mouse button, and I did too, but I decided to use a hot corner. When I'm ready to walk away from the computer, I just give the mouse a quick nudge to the top left corner and the monitor shuts off. Very easy.

6. Spradle thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks big TDI, I will use that for now, but if anyone else knows how I can set a mouse button to it with my logitech, feel free to let me know! thanks!:D:apple:

7. Razorhog macrumors 65816

Razorhog

Sweet tip, just changed mine.

8. excommie macrumors regular

ctrl-shift-eject
    This combo puts the display to sleep. For me, this was the best option to quickly turn off display, keeping everything else running.

9. SR20DETDOG macrumors regular

Download 'Better Touch Tool', it lets you create custom functions for Keyboard, trackpad, mouse and some other things.

I just tested it then and put my display to sleep using the middle-click. I can't guarantee it will work with your mouse but I don't see why it wouldn't :)