Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

marshallbedsaul

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 14, 2007
Utah
Hello,
After months of debate I picked up an ultra! Watch is a huge improvement since my last Apple Watch(2). Went the way of the garmin fenix.

I’m trying to sleep with the watch on but the ocean band feels pretty annoying. End up waking up and taking off the watch. Maybe I’m keeping the strap too tight ? How much slack can we have to still track accurately? My wrist is 8 inches and if I have room for 2 adjustments.

Thanks for input

Bonus pic AWU vs my Garmin Fenix 5 plus sapphire
26F34FAA-BB9B-4BC1-BA5D-41927C4D72FE.jpeg

bruinsrme

macrumors 604
Oct 26, 2008
IMO the best band to sleep with would be a knock off sports loop on amazon. I feel the sports loop style is the most comfortable,

Morgenland

macrumors 65816
May 28, 2009
Europe
I wear the Apple Watch around the clock for medical reasons and have been very happy with the Nike Sport Band for years.

The many passages of this band allow the skin to better regulate its moisture balance, so you hardly sweat and the skin is not irritated. The plastic has a good skin compatibility. I clean the band about 1 time per week with alcohol, which is quite sufficient. The closure is easy to handle and well adjustable.
Screenshot 2023-01-17 00.17.27.png

Enjoy your Ultra!

Last edited:

DigitalAR

macrumors regular
Sep 30, 2022
Braided Solo Loop, hands down. Soft and breathable, no hard (metal/plastic) parts whatsoever. Also, you want the strap to be snug as then the Ultra doesn‘t shift around; this way you won‘t feel the weight of the Ultra at all.
Braided solo loop is the answer or the Milanese loop.

Arran

macrumors 601
Mar 7, 2008
Atlanta, USA
You've asked a really good question. I bought a silicone solo loop months ago purely for sleep tracking with my old S6. It's okay but it tends to catch and drag on the sheets.

I also have an old SB Milanese I never use: Smooth edges, slick finish. I'll give it a whirl tonight.

Edit: After a week I can say that the Milanese is WAY better than the silicone solo loop

Last edited:
Reactions: marshallbedsaul

kugino

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2003
the cheap amazon knock-offs arenʻt the best quality, but iʻve been quite happy with the knock-off trail loop i picked up for $10. itʻs light, super adjustable, and very comfortable. itʻs my go-to watch for sleep and running...i switch to either the OEM alpine loop or OEM dive band for normal day use. i didnʻt want to spend $100 on another velcro strap so a cheap knockoff did the trick.

Howard2k

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2016
I wear the Apple Watch around the clock for medical reasons and have been very happy with the Nike Sport Band for years.

The many passages of this band allow the skin to better regulate its moisture balance, so you hardly sweat and the skin is not irritated. The plastic has a good skin compatibility. I clean the band about 1 time per week with alcohol, which is quite sufficient. The closure is easy to handle and well adjustable.
View attachment 2143268
Enjoy your Ultra!

I use this same, or a canvas strap.

ndouglas

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2022

View attachment 2143268
Enjoy your Ultra!
It hard to answer for sure, as another post said everyone’s different, however I‘d have to say this one —-^ has been my favorite too, not just for sleeping but for daytime, hot weather, workouts etc. The other fabric nylon (?) one is great too but my issue with that one it’s it’s more of a hassle to take on and off. Whereas this Nike sport one is easy to remove like the standard ones that come with the watch.
About looseness, definietly keep it loose enough to slide a few millimeters even a centimeter, ideally I’d like it tighter than that but I always regret it as it just gets too restrictive at night (and in the day) so, a little movement is best.

Morgenland

macrumors 65816
May 28, 2009
Europe
It hard to answer for sure, as another post said everyone’s different, however I‘d have to say this one —-^ has been my favorite too, not just for sleeping but for daytime, hot weather, workouts etc. The other fabric nylon (?) one is great too but my issue with that one it’s it’s more of a hassle to take on and off. Whereas this Nike sport one is easy to remove like the standard ones that come with the watch.
About looseness, definietly keep it loose enough to slide a few millimeters even a centimeter, ideally I’d like it tighter than that but I always regret it as it just gets too restrictive at night (and in the day) so, a little movement is best.
I've had the Watch since it came out. A 2nd bracelet is in the attic. Maybe you too will have 2, and hopefully be especially happy with one of them. I wish you that.

ndouglas

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2022
I've had the Watch since it came out. A 2nd bracelet is in the attic. Maybe you too will have 2, and hopefully be especially happy with one of them. I wish you that.
Thank you! I do have a few watch bands, and I tend to rotate them every few months for fun and for variety.

PS: I like your “in anticipation” items in your signature! :D

• Love
Reactions: Morgenland
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.