Sleeping with AW: health concerns

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by ipaddaro, Oct 14, 2018.

1. ipaddaro macrumors regular

Hi,
    do you think that sleeping with AW is a good idea for health?

I mean, i’m not a big fan of having cellular waves on my wrist alla day long, but i think (hope) that the wrist is less sensitive than other parts of the body.

But what about sleeping with AW near your head? because this is the position i generally assume when sleeping.. with at least one hand under then pillow.

I know that cellular can be turned of, but the “risk” of forgetting it on is high.
    In addition there is wi fi, and bluetooth than can’t be turned off.

I know that you may say “if it is designed that way, it means that is not dangerous/unhealthy at all”... but i’d like to know if something about this has been said with any sort of evidence.

Thank you!

2. akash.nu macrumors 604

akash.nu

Scientifically it couldn’t be proven if cellular signal can directly be correlated to any health issues.

3. Xarthan macrumors regular

Xarthan

Switch to airplane mode if you are concerned :)

4. ipaddaro thread starter macrumors regular

good advice... but on airplane mode does all the tracking (autosleep, heartwatch and so on) work? otherwise there is no meaning for me to sleep with it.

5. Ledgem macrumors 68000

Ledgem

It should; it just won't synchronize to the apps on your iPhone (or receive feedback on move data from your iPhone) until you disable airplane mode. Try it out for a night and let us know if there was any weird behavior.

6. dave006 Contributor

dave006

The LTE/Cellular feature is not "on" unless you don't have a Bluetooth or Wi-Fi connection. Just sleep with your watch in Bluetooth range of your iPhone and then you don't have to worry about any LTE/Cellular waves. The normal mode for the LTE feature is for it to be in standby mode vs how your iPhone LTE/Cellular connection works as "always" on.

Dave

7. Funsize93 macrumors regular

Funsize93

If you think about it, you are constantly surrounded by cellular waves (otherwise your devices would get no signal), radio waves (otherwise you wouldnt be able to listen to your favourite radio station) and wi-fi waves if you have wireless internet in you home. Im sure having a device strapped to your wrist wouldnt be any different.

8. chanerz macrumors 65816

9. Julien macrumors G4

Julien

Electromagnetic radiation scares me. I’m installing a Faraday cage tomorrow and removing all lights. We need to start a petition to have the sun removed too before we all die and so far everyone before use has died.

10. Funsize93 macrumors regular

Funsize93

Don't forget the tinfoil hat!

11. Xarthan macrumors regular

Xarthan

It does! I've tried it and works great. It stores the info on your watch and just turn back on bluetooth to sync up the data when you wake up.

12. edhchoe macrumors 6502a

edhchoe

I have slept with AW on for the last 12 months and I have not gotten a cancer yet.

13. avkam macrumors member

I have mine always set to airplane/theatre mode for sleeping. AutoSleep app tracks all data and sends it to phone right after connecting again.

14. ipaddaro thread starter macrumors regular

You are all right... i tried sleeping last night with apple watch on with all connections on and theatre mode...

i just found that it’s very uncomfortable to be and i had to take it off after one hour... problem solved