Sleeping with the watch on

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Munchio, May 8, 2015.

1. Munchio macrumors newbie

Munchio

If I wear my watch overnight while I sleep, will it still keep reminding me to stand up every hour?

2. xRYD3Rx macrumors 6502

Yes. It tells me I need to stand up when I sit on the toilet for more than 5minute......

3. samiznaetekto macrumors 65816

Only if your Taptic Engine is Made In Japan.

4. Cuyler macrumors 6502

It won't bother you if you turn on "Do not Disturb". You can turn it on manually from the watch glances... or from the iPhone's Apple Watch app go to Do Not Disturb and turn on Mirror iPhone — the watch then follows the same rules you set up for your iPhone.

5. PLamarine macrumors 6502

PLamarine

I had been sleeping with mine on and charging mid-day. I put mine in do not disturb mode mirroring my iPhone.

Now I am taking it off at night and charging at night. If they come up with a decent sleep tracking app I will switch back.

6. zmunkz macrumors 6502a

zmunkz

Yeah I am curious what the benefit currently is of wearing it… a sleep tracker would make the difference.

7. velleity macrumors member

I've slept with it on a few nights just to see what my pulse is like when I'm asleep.

To turn on DND mode without having to use your iPhone, swipe up to get to glances, then swipe right all the way to the last glance. Click the moon (center icon). Now you don't have to worry about the stand reminder!

8. geoffm33 macrumors 6502

geoffm33

If you have to swipe to the last glance, can't you swipe the opposite direction to get to it first? I don't own one (preparing for shipment) but I thought it was a carousel.

9. BillyTrimble macrumors 6502a

Unfortunately no, it doesn't act as a carousel. But it's a great idea. We should submit that as a suggestion to Apple.

Here's the URL for feedback to Apple regarding the watch:

https://www.apple.com/feedback/watch.html

10. geoffm33 macrumors 6502

geoffm33

Ahhh, I see. Bummer. Thanks for that.

11. superlawyer15 macrumors regular

superlawyer15

If the watch had a sleep tracking feature to go with the sleep analysis part of the health app I would wear it to sleep every night

12. BrettDS macrumors 65816

I’ve slept with mine a couple of times and I put it in do not disturb mode and never got any stand reminders. Unfortunately I can’t find a good time to charge during the day, so I don’t regularly sleep with it.

13. Tom G. macrumors 68000

Tom G.

Apparently with the better than expected battery life that many people are reporting, wearing the watch while sleeping is an actual possibility. Especially when you look at the rather rapid charging time. A sleep app would add interesting data to the your health record.

14. TheNaz macrumors newbie

TheNaz

We aren't allowed to wear watches or jewelry at work so my battery is still great after 10 hrs of work. I've been sleeping with it on. When I get up in morning battery is still around 45%. Takes maybe 30 minutes to charge back to full.

15. adammull macrumors 6502a

adammull

I wore it last night as I was not at home and didn't have a charger.

The only thing I got out of that was seeing my HR at 44 at 3AM. No real "Sleep tracking" info besides that.

Threw it on the charger when I got home this morning. Was to 100 in an hour from 35. I am having zero battery issues. It lasts forever for me.

16. zaneliu94 macrumors regular

I've slept with it on. Not uncomfortable or anything. Didn't even turn on DND mode. Didn't feel any taps all night and didn't see any step reminders in the morning in notification center

17. ThaRagingAsian macrumors 6502

ThaRagingAsian

I plan on sleeping with it so it will wake me up. When the tactic engine is maxed out, will it be strong enough to wake me? Are there third party alarm clocks for that?

18. PLamarine macrumors 6502

PLamarine

I doubt you will need to max it out to be woken up. At regular levels the taptic engine is pretty noticeable.

19. CmdrLaForge macrumors 68040

CmdrLaForge

I wake up several times per night and I want to know how late it is. Makes sense?

20. bushido Suspended

bushido

an app like Sleep Cycle would probably kill the battery in like two hours i am afraid

21. ThaRagingAsian macrumors 6502

ThaRagingAsian

Awesome! I had a pebble steel and the vibration worked but it would wake my wife up. The tactic engine is pretty neat and discrete.

22. Cuyler macrumors 6502

You have to train yourself to wake up like this guy did ⬇︎

(from the 60's spy film spoof Our Man Flint)

23. TxRN macrumors member

TxRN

You can always turn off the stand reminder. I do this for the days I'm in class all day.

24. Picapau21 macrumors 6502

Exactly what I did! Turn off the stand reminder.

I sleep with the watch on and use the taptic alarm to wake me up. Works every time! Nicer way to wake up than the iphone alarm!