Sleeping with watch

retailacc

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 19, 2017
Boston, MA
Hello guys,

I sometimes sleep with my watch to track my sleep, and while I don’t necessarily need this, it’s something I like keeping a record of.

The problem is that I tend to move a lot, and sometimes I might even wake up sleeping on top of my arm/wrist. Can this affect my series 2 in any way? I don’t think I’ll crack it (I’m 180 pounds) but I read that even a bit of constant heat could cause the screen’s glue to come off.

Any thoughts?

Thank you in advance

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
Hello guys,

I sometimes sleep with my watch to track my sleep, and while I don’t necessarily need this, it’s something I like keeping a record of.

The problem is that I tend to move a lot, and sometimes I might even wake up sleeping on top of my arm/wrist. Can this affect my series 2 in any way? I don’t think I’ll crack it (I’m 180 pounds) but I read that even a bit of constant heat could cause the screen’s glue to come off.

Any thoughts?

Thank you in advance
Could it happen? Perhaps. But I think your Watch won't suffer any issues from subjecting heat if you fall asleep on it. I would imagine the temperatures would have to be exceedingly high to cause the adhesive to loosen and expand, but lots of Apple Watch users sleep with Their Watch on and I have not heard/read of any reports of the dislay coming off.

Reactions: retailacc

sean000

macrumors 68000
Jul 16, 2015
Bellingham, WA
I have a 2-year old original AWS that I have been sleeping with for probably a year. I use the Pillow app to track sleep. I also move a lot in my sleep, and I'm a stomach sleeper so I often sleep with my wrist under my pillow. The watch is no worse for the wear. I agree with Newton's Apple: that 98-99 degrees wouldn't be enough.

Sean

Arran

macrumors 601
Mar 7, 2008
Atlanta, USA
I'm guessing that if Apple thought it would cause problems they'd ban sleep tracking apps from the app store?

Just curious. What app do you use? I used a Jawbone UP years ago for sleep tracking, but I've never investigated it with my Apple watch.

retailacc

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 19, 2017
Boston, MA
Thanks everyone for responding to my dumb question! I’ll keep sleeping with it :)

And for those who asked: I use SleepMatic to track my sleep!

Reactions: sean000