sleeve or shell for 15" MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dtklamf, Jul 2, 2008.

1. dtklamf macrumors regular

Just got a MBP and started looking at cases/bags ect and it's a bit of a minefield for someone who's never bothered with one before but with this one and a bit more travelling coming up I'd like to get something.

I'm not so interested in a bag actually the one I have now is fine but more something like a neoprene sleeve or hard plastic shell just to offer some scratch 'dented in bag' protection.

MBP shell

MBP sleeve

to me a shell looks kinda like yer kid sister (ugly) but it is a snug fit (like your older sister) but does anyone have a sleeve that is a nice tight fit?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The booq Vyper M2 is the best sleeve I've ever seen for a MBP. Much more protection than Neoprene.

3. gd0014 macrumors newbie

I just ordered an STM Glove (on it's way). Supposed a tight fit and well made (lifetime warranty). I wasn't looking for 'drop protection', just something to protect from scratches/minor bumps while in my bag.

http://www.radtech.us/products/GloveCase.aspx

I tried the Incase neoprene sleeve in the apple store and it was about an inch too long. This one is supposed to stretch over the MBP 'like a glove' as the name suggests.

4. bbbensen macrumors 6502

I found that out too, after I bought it. I still love it though. :p

5. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

Ummm.... How's that therapy going? :eek:;)

In serious answer to your question, I agree with the booq. You can also save 10% on it via coupon code - I think it's "MW8".

6. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

I dont use a speck case but I do use a sleeve when I take my laptop outside the house.

I bought the waterfield sleeve. My brother bought one since 4 years ago and the quality of the bag is amazing. The craftmanship is detailed and very nice quality.

All I can say to describe the sleeve is that its like a bullet proof vest for my 17" mbp.

The sleeve can be customized to be made vertical or horizontal (I chose vertical) and to add a flap and to add d rings so that you can add a small piggy back bag behind the sleeve for an external mouse, power adapter.

http://www.sfbags.com/products/sleevecases/sleevecases.htm

You can check it out, I believe that if you buy this sleeve it will pretty much last you for the rest of your life.

17" mbp is my fav. and probably stick with it for life and will keep my sleeve for life as well. They make the sleeve for 17", 15" and even for the mba (curious as to what it looks like!).

7. danvan21 macrumors regular

Personally i would do neither of those things. The best hard shell case is incase. It just came out for MBPs and is not available at the apple store yet. The best sleeve is the Tucano sleeve. Either one of these things, or both, would protect your mac great.