Sleeve problems

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by macbook yes, Oct 7, 2009.

1. macbook yes macrumors 6502

3 months ago I bought an Ogio laptop sleeve. It's really nice with neoprene and faux fur on the inside. However, a week or so ago it started to fall apart. Now, both zipper pulls have fallen off and one of the seams is unraveling. After spending $35 on it, I am upset. I emailed Ogio and although it has a "lifetime warrant", they refused to replace it. I am now in the market for another laptop bag, and this time it will not be an Ogio.

However, one of my friends has a Built NY sleeve, which I was thinking of getting, but it is definitely thinner than my sleeve. Is there another sleeve as thick as an Ogio laptop sleeve? How does it compare to the incase sleeve? They look quite similar, but how does the thickness compare?

2. Rampant.A.I. macrumors 6502a

Can't vouch for the thickness comparison, but InCase makes very solid products. I'm still using (or was) the original 15" neoprene InCase sleeve I bought with my Powerbook G4 back in '05. In fact, the sleeve seems to have outlasted the computer, so there you go.

3. analytical44 macrumors regular

Wardmaster sleeves offer great protection. Only problem, they're not sold in the US to my knowledge. You can grab one on ebay however.

http://www.wardmaster.com/

http://cgi.ebay.com.my/13-3-WARDMAS...0?hash=item3a5092d05b&_trksid=p3286.m63.l1177

I believe they're made for Mackbooks so my MBP swims a little bit in there. Even with the extra space, it is the most protection I've seen from a non-cumbersome sleeve. I feel very comfortable traveling with just a regular backpack when my MBP is in there. Check it out.

4. Gen macrumors 6502a

Gen

Agree.

I've been using mine for a little over six months and couldn't be happier; great product.
    http://goincase.com/macbook/

5. Dan73 macrumors 6502a

I also agree, bought one for my 13", fits perfect nice and tight, inside is very soft and outside will protect from a bumps but not a fall.

6. prodigee macrumors 6502a

I have the incase neoprene sleeve as well in terms of quality its really quite nice, but it wont really protect against drops its more there to protect it from scratches and debris getting into the computer while you transport your computer. If you want something with drop protection get the Tom Bihn that GoldenMacKid suggested.

7. macbook yes thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm in college, so I use this thing up to 8 hours a day (4 hours of classes, 4 of homework). I usually put it in my backpack in the sleeve because it's more convenient, but sometimes I will carry it around in the sleeve. Do you think a hard shell would suit me better? I don't really like how the ports are open, but...

8. prodigee macrumors 6502a

Well if you wanted to get a hard case that would work for drop protection, but it will allow a lot of debris under the case which leads to scratches and who knows what can happen to the ports while its in there. I would say either get the Tom Bihn case or get either an incase hardshell or the speck hardshell, and to go with the hardshell a sleeve to protect the ports and prevent debris entering the case and ports, (more easily).

9. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Having owned both the Tom Bihn case, an Incase sleeve and a Booq Vyper along with numerous hard shells from Incase and Speck. The sleeve is your option, only because the hard case doesn't protect that well from drops, neither does the Incase sleeve for that matter. If you leave your computer naked chances are the scratches will be worse, but regardless the Tom Bihn is best for drops. It also features pockets for minimal storage.

10. prodigee macrumors 6502a

Pretty much what he said.

Which is pretty much what I was saying.