sleeve vs case

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by shyam09, Dec 20, 2010.

?

Hardcover Case of Nice Soft Sleeve

1. Hardcover Case

7 vote(s)
    25.0%
  2. Nice Soft Sleeve

17 vote(s)
    60.7%
  3. Screw It. Only the beauty nad toughness of my aluminum

4 vote(s)
    14.3%
  1. shyam09 macrumors 68000

shyam09

*** sry for typo in the poll nad = AND
    so got MBP, now about the sleeve or case.

i was thinking about this case:
    http://www.amazon.com/IVEA-Crystal-...8?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1292909199&sr=1-8

or this sleeve:
    http://www.amazon.com/be-ez-100416-...?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1292909238&sr=1-22

(these are examples)
    but which would be better for school etc. a hard cover case or a sleeve...
    im trying to stay on the low end and not purchase something too expensive (as i spent a lot on the MBP :( ) so any tips, suggestions, MRoogles?

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

IMO cases are ugly. Sleeve will protect it when needed, i.e. when carrying it.

3. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

Definitely a sleeve. It's not like you're constantly moving the laptop around like you would with a phone.

4. josh8711 macrumors member

Sleeve. My dad has the most beautiful sleeve for his MBP. Neoprene outside and this soft as heaven wooly fabric inside. It is going on 1 year old now and has not a scratch on it! He works on building sites even!

5. shyam09 thread starter macrumors 68000

shyam09

can someone give me a some sleeves that are on the cheap end. i put up another thread where a poster said that we should just get sleeves/cases for macbook pros (if we have a MBP) because it will be the best fit, etc.
    so anyone?
    (im looking towards amazon, newegg.. etc)

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Not cheap, but the booq Vyper is the best protection I've ever seen in a notebook sleeve. In my opinion, it offers far better protection than any neoprene case, the zippers never come into contact with your MBP, and it looks great!
    [​IMG]

7. velocityg4, Dec 21, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2010

velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

I just put my Macbook in my trusty old saddlebag and it holds up just fine. This bag predates when all bags include laptop padding and separation so just a thin wall of canvas protects my laptop which I carry around everyday. Personally I never want one of those bags it just adds unneeded bulk and weight.

8. shyam09 thread starter macrumors 68000

shyam09

9. josh8711, Dec 21, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 21, 2010
  10. Luba, Dec 21, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 9, 2011

Luba macrumors 6502a

Luba

Seriously considered the Booq sleeve below, but didn't have a handle so I got the Level 8 sleeve with handle. Handle comes in handy, especially with a 15"

11. velocityg4, Dec 22, 2010

velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

12. Vantage Point macrumors 65816

I had the be.ez sleeve and it fit like a glove and provided very good protection. BUT, I used it on a MB and the size of the 13" MBP is slightly different and so is the fit. I did have a 13" MBP and used the Incase Canvas sleeve which is now hard to find but I loved that as well - tight at first but after a few days it fit to perfection.

13. shyam09 thread starter macrumors 68000

shyam09

14. Reelknead1 macrumors 6502

15. shyam09 thread starter macrumors 68000

shyam09

16. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

17. deeddawg macrumors 604

I'm guessing he copied the link from another forum post and got the truncated version.

Try this one: http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0348408

I figure sleeves are good if you need to carry your MBP inside another bag not intended for a laptop. Personally I use a Timbuk2 messenger bag with a built in laptop compartment that provides all the protection I've needed.

18. articcine macrumors regular

19. iEric macrumors 6502a

It's not that bad -- seems like it's pretty thick though, but offers lots of protection with those pockets of air and foam. I tend to go for the neoprene though. Everyone is different but if you like it, go for it...I dont think a lot of people judge other people's sleeves.

20. Mac-key macrumors 6502a

ah, it's alright.

I just got this for Christmas - LOVE IT

21. Plater macrumors newbie

Plater

Really? everyone here are advising a sleeve? (im in no way saying that any of u are wrong)

But im using a Frost Incase Hardshell Case for the Macbook Pro 15". I am VERY happy with it. It fits wonderfully and all the ports are aligned the right way. And just feels really good as a shell case. Not too much thinker than before IMO.

Tell me what u think :D

heres the link for the incase. Link

22. PinkyMacGodess, Jan 8, 2011

PinkyMacGodess macrumors 68040

PinkyMacGodess

For my 15" I use an 'Init' shoulder bag because it holds stuff like the Magic Mouse and an AP Express and cables. No sleeve or skin. For my 13" I use an InCase sleeve and when traveling I throw it in a Gregory backpack which holds all my necessities for travel including my iPad.

A friend uses the Speck plastic skin and still throws it in a roller bag. She has an older 15" like mine that was an iron that burnt her legs which is what started the Speck hard skin fetish. Now everything has one.

For my iPad I use the Otterbox Defender and love it but for the iPhone 4 I have their iPhone 4 defender and am not feeling the love. The rubber they use for it should be firmer IMO. The port flaps are always opening and the bottom one is hard to keep closed. Someone suggested cutting it off but then the slot wouldn't be protected. I do love holster cases though...

I can't find the Gregory pack that I have. Init is a private label for Best Try.

Otterbox iPad case
    Otterbox iPhone cases

Those Booq things don't look too bad price wise. I've always wanted a Tom Bihn bag. There was also another bag that the Apple Store carried that was pricey too.

Brenthaven. That's the expensive bag. They used to tout their bags and sleeves as being the best protection in the world or something but have toned that down a lot (probably due to claims against their warranty?).

23. Santabean2000 macrumors 68000

Santabean2000

I have an Incase Hardshell too; feels good. Look (a bit) different to standard MBPs. I also use a sleeve... Gotta go double skins, right?!

24. shyam09, Jan 9, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2011

shyam09 thread starter macrumors 68000

shyam09

sleeve business the Booq or the be.ez?!?!

hi guys back at the sleeve business... i have two new choices that i am presenting... please give me your opinions :)
    what about this one.. this is another option.. im looking for something cheap, not tooo expensive

http://www.amazon.com/100779-LArobe...3OFY/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1294538390&sr=8-3

or

http://www.booqbags.com/Resources/Taipan-skin-S-khaki-green-macbook-sleeve

[for the booq, please look at the ones at the bottom for 24.95... im thinking about one of those.

im a guy, age 17 so please pick what you guys would say is the best color...

*im leaning towards the khaki one myself...

25. SuperCachetes, Jan 9, 2011

SuperCachetes macrumors 6502a

SuperCachetes

They are both ugly, but I guess the beez is the lesser of the two evils.

Personally, I like my no-nonsense incase.