Sleeves and Bags

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by trb102589, Jun 12, 2008.

1. trb102589 macrumors newbie

I'm trying to decide what brand of sleeve to buy for my yet-to-be purchased Macbook Pro. I think I've narrowed it down between the Zeroshock III and a sleeve from Waterfield. I know everyone has their own opinion on this subject but I would like to hear opinions on these specific brands. If, however, you've got a sleeve that trumps either of these, by all means post.

I'm going to college this September and also need some sort of bag to put my MBP into. What types of bags do you guys prefer? I'm not looking to spend hundreds on a bag but it should last quite a while.

Thanks Guys!

Tim

2. Burtonsnow9 macrumors regular

how about an incase neoprene sleeve? i just received one for my mbp thats on its way, and it looks amazing and is small yet durable. i have had an incase neoprene sleeve for my ipod and i love it because it is very durable and you dont have to worry about liquids and what not. give them a look! and at $35 you cant go wrong.

http://goincase.com/products/detail/15-neoprene-sleeve-cl57078

3. MM07 macrumors 6502a

I agree. I got one for my MacBook and it's great. Then I went and bought a incase MBP case with the handle and use both at the same time.

I know it's overkill, but I want to protect my prized toy. :D

4. jbaird77 macrumors member

www.booqbags.com

these guys have some of the best cases/bags. Ive read plenty of reviews and this company gets 5-stars.

I just ordered my bag Wednesday and I cant wait for it to get here. It's called the Boa Slimcase XL and its $135. Although it sounds somewhat expensive, the quality is amazing and I mean, come on, dont you want something nice protecting that $2500 investment of yours? :p

its $135 for the 17" one (the one I'm getting), if you are getting the 15", I'm sure you can find a cheaper one on that site

hope I have helped :D

5. jackiecanev2 macrumors 65816

jackiecanev2

I have an Incase Sling pack for light days, and a Crumpler Considerable Embarrassment for big-load days. I also had a timbuk2 laptop messenger that was freakin' bombproof. I used it every day for almost 3 years and when I gave it away (biggest mistake ever) it was still in perfect shape. I'm not a fan of regular backpacks, obviously. If you're opting for a heavier sleeve (ie booq, etc) you could always just throw the MBP into the sleeve and into whatever bag you want.

6. trb102589 thread starter macrumors newbie

I have not decided what I wanted to do yet. Do I go for a laptop specific bag or just a regular bag with a heavier sleeve?

7. powz macrumors regular

I'm not sure about bags, but I've had some experience with different notebook sleeves. I'd suggest looking at sleeves made of polyurethane for impact absorption. These are available for pretty cheap from Ebay, etc. This is the one I bought and I'm very happy with it (seems to be much better at shock absorption than regular nylon or neoprene cases): http://www.rasfox.com/product_info.php/cPath/62/products_id/127 I think they're available on Ebay as well.

8. AndyR macrumors 6502a

AndyR

I have a Crumpler "Gimp" sleeve for my MBP and its ACE!

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Attached Files:

10. ddoonie macrumors regular

I just took receipt of my booq vyper sleeve 10 minutes ago. Simple, strong, and nice looking. Not the cheapest, but sure will prevent any cosmetic damage to my MBP. I recommend it. Corners are reenforced, and front and back panel are protected very well.

11. chiefroastbeef macrumors 6502a

For now I am using a pillow case :p , waiting for the Incase Hardshell!

12. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

13. trb102589 thread starter macrumors newbie

Alright, so now I'm leaning towards that Booq sleeve everyone's raving about. I do not however like the bags on Booq's website. I know they're good quality but I do not like they styling on them at all. I'll need to carry a book or two along with an actual spiral bound notebook in the bag. I wish there was a good B&M store around here so I could actually try out the bags.

14. ddoonie macrumors regular

15. bern1812 macrumors member

16. Bobioden macrumors 68000

Bobioden

I suggest the Crumpler Considerable Embarrassment. Fits the MBP perfectly. Nice size messenger type bag. Great protection for your laptop. Lots of places for books, adapters, pens, etc.. and excellent quality build. I use it with my MBP on a daily basis.

http://www.crumplerbags.com/Cart/index.php?catId=5

17. Bootsie macrumors 6502a

Bootsie

I can't really help with the sleeve (I am still looking for one myself), but I have a bag that I love! I have the Crumpled King Single backpack, it is a great bag. I use a lot of crumpler's products, I have a couple of their photo bags (great BTW) and a regular messenger for everyday uses. This backpack is great though, very well built, stylish, and very comfortable, I would recommend it to anyone!

18. shoarthing macrumors member

. . . suggest you have a look at the isidei range of sleeves - memory foam allround - much better than neoprene.

19. zer0tails macrumors 65816

zer0tails

OP: For top notch quality, check out http://www.sfbags.com/

I have a sleeve for my macbook pro and it's so durable.

20. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

I've got both a Waterfield Cozmo and sleeve. Both are really great. What I especially like about the sleeve is the ability to carry it without the bag itself, making it very slimline. When you order the sleeve, you have the option to add d-rings, a pouch, a flap, and a carrying strap. It's got a pocket, which is suitable for holding papers or a folder.
    In addition, I like the Cozmo bag. I don't like the messenger bags and it has a more professional appearance. My 17" with sleeve fits into the medium. However, if you want to hold more than some papers, folders, and a book, you should get the large.
    I haven't personally tried it, but if you need ultimate notebook protection, you might want to buy the Brain Cell by tombihn.com. It's padded to the point that it could probably protect an egg--that was situated inside--if the case dropped onto the ground.
    Another company to try for bags is RedOxx.com.

The advantages of Tom Bihn, Red Oxx and Waterfield is that they're made in this country and are customizable. So if you don't want to buy a bag made by either little yellow or brown hands, this is worth looking into.

Esther

21. trb102589 thread starter macrumors newbie

Do you guys suggest getting a sleeve AND a bag? All of the bags I've seen hold the notebook without a sleeve on. This, I guess, is understandable but I was planning on getting both a sleeve and a bag to put it all in. Maybe I'm not looking at the right bags and should just go to a store and check them out for myself. Do you guys have sleeves and THEN put them into bags? If so let me know your configuration.

22. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

I own a Waterfield Cozmo bag and sleeve.

I'm very paranoid about losing my computer because of a drop. I want it to last the next 4 or so years. If it breaks before then, that doesn't do me any good.

Esther

23. shoarthing macrumors member

. . I use a Wenger/Swissgear Ibex backpack, together with an Isis sleeve - memory-foam rather than neoprene & sized properly for a 17" Macbook Pro - a tight fit in the Ibex's padded laptop-pouch but fits OK. This combo gives pretty good protection, & the backpack is durable, stands up properly, & has a vast number of zipped places/pouches/pockets.

The combo can be bought for roughly US$100, if you look around.

24. Fontenette Yo! macrumors regular

Fontenette Yo!

Built Ny bags are really nice. They are pretty much sleeves for your your back. They have other styles that accommodate more stuff also.

http://www.builtny.com

Attached Files:

25. nagromme macrumors G5

nagromme

Tom Bihn Brain Cell. Your choice of Horizontal and Vertical. It's a semi-rigid sleeve (with extra padding on the bottom edge for drops) and for me that's the perfect compromise between bulk and protection.