Slew of MacBook Pro problems

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by AndrewR23, Dec 13, 2011.

1. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

1. After charging to 100% with the computer closed, it won't turn on. I have to restart it everytime.

2. Pages opens EVERYTIME I log in. It is turned off at login

3. The Safari refreshes...at random times. Watching videos, etc.

Mid 2009 MacBook Pro. All of these started when I downloaded Lion last September.

Took it to the stupid bar, and they had no idea what to do. Told me to wipe the hard drive and reinstall Lion.

Is there any other options?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

What do you mean "with the computer closed"? Do you mean you put it to sleep by closing the lid and it won't wake up?
    When you shut down Lion, it gives you a prompt, letting you know it will restart all your running apps and reopen all your open documents when it restarts. You can uncheck the box before you shut down, so it won't do that.
    What do you mean "refreshes"?

3. AndrewR23 thread starter macrumors 68040

1. Yeah, closing the lid and letting it charge overnight.

2. Okay, fixed that

3. You know when you are on a webpage and you click refresh. well my internet randomly refreshes by itself.

4. Ccrew macrumors 68020

Umm, depending on the website that may well be by design. Most of our sites for work are set on a 5 minute refresh interval and they will reload the client page with no click needed.

5. AndrewR23 thread starter macrumors 68040

It does it on here and YouTube the most

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Try going to your Energy Saver settings and scheduling a time for your computer to wake. See if that works, to better isolate the problem.
    It could be a JavaScript on the page causing the refresh, and not caused by your browser at all.

7. pat park macrumors 6502a

Maybe take it back to Apple store and see if they can re-create the same issues. Get it exchanged.

Just make sure it's not some setting you're missing or overlooked. Save you the embarrassment.

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

... assuming, of course, that the OP has AppleCare, since their warranty has long since expired.

9. AndrewR23 thread starter macrumors 68040

How do I find out it is a javascript?

Also, I have Applecare till 2012 June.

Apple didn't really help. The internet did refresh randomly but he said I need to wipe my whole hard drive.

The people at the Apple store are pretty stupid. They also told me they don't replace Macs under any reason.

When I need help, I come here since the people in here know how to fix things.

10. pat park macrumors 6502a

time machine back up.
    wipe the drive
    reinstall Lion and back up from TM.

11. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If, for example, you're using Forum Spy, that requires JavaScript to refresh the post listing. You can watch YouTube videos without JavaScript enabled. To disable JavaScript, go to Safari > Preferences > Security and uncheck "Enable JavaScript". You should have already unchecked "Enable Java", for security reasons. Be aware that some web pages may not function properly without JavaScript, so you may need to re-enable it for some sites. Generally speaking, however, it's fine to leave it enabled.
    That's obviously false. Remember "Genius" is only their job title, and not an indication of their knowledge, experience or intelligence.

12. AndrewR23 thread starter macrumors 68040

Alrighty, ill give it a go. So what kind of reasons does apple replace the entire computer.

13. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Usually, only if it has been returned 3+ times for significant repair issues, indicating it may be a lemon. Even then, it's up to the discretion of the Apple staff handling the issue to determine if a replacement is warranted.