Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

essdee

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 28, 2010
http://www.slickwraps.com/iphone-4-real-leather-s/226.htm

Looked around the forum but I didn't see anything on these. Maybe I missed it? No decent reviews on youtube either..

Anyways, has anybody had any experience with these? They look pretty nice and are REAL leather, not just a print or a texture. I'm thinking about picking one up as they appear to be pretty thick (WAY thicker than the ps crystal back I have currently) and look to add actual (minimal) shock protection, not just protection against scratches.

Can somebody who has one post up how they feel about them? Pros? Cons?

Last edited:

allklr

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2010
Im interested to, I was going to to get one but they look a little to thick like they cannot be used with a bumper.

essdee

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 28, 2010
Hmm yeah. They cover up the entire back (at least it appears so) and if that's the case, then I doubt you'll be able to fit a bumper over it..

essdee

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 28, 2010
I wouldn't doubt that the carbon fiber model would be compatible with cases but the leather looks pretty thick.

This is one of a couple videos on youtube and it shows the actual thickness and I don't think it would be able to fit under a bumper/case.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBwURE3r9lI

Last edited:

Olivia23

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2008
around
I've never bought the leather ones, but I have bought other skins from another website and no, the bumper is not a good idea with those. It would always make the skin push up from the edges of the phone.

clumsythief83

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2010
I wouldn't doubt that the carbon fiber model would be compatible with cases but the leather looks pretty thick.

This is one of a couple videos on youtube and it shows the actual thickness and I don't think it would be able to fit under a bumper/case.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBwURE3r9lI

Except with the BladEdge bumper which is the one I have since it doesn't go around the front and back. I ordered the slick wraps leather series, should get it later this week, so I will confirm if it's compatible or not.

essdee

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 28, 2010
Nice. I just placed an order for the distressed leather last night. I'll post up some pictures and a small review when it arrives.

azBoB

macrumors newbie
Feb 18, 2011
Lost on the trail, AZ
Nice. I just placed an order for the distressed leather last night. I'll post up some pictures and a small review when it arrives.

Any word on how this worked out? I am considering this same purchase and wondered what finish is on the leather? I was hoping for a flat finish as opposed to shiny.

Thanks.

essdee

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 28, 2010
Im still waiting to receive it, hopefully it will come in today. I'll be sure to post it up when it arrives!

essdee

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 28, 2010
All right so I got the backing in the mail today so here's a little review and some pictures! They were also offering free matte black front and back screen protectors so I received one of those also. The front doesn't protect the actual display though, just the top, bottom, and sides.

Packaging:I was a little un-impressed with the packaging on these, and I wasn't even expecting much to begin with. They came in one of those normal cardboard envelope type things but the actual skins were packed in small plastic sheets. I watched some reviews from this company on youtube and they all seemed to be in some type of black envelope type thing. This doesn't really bother me at all though, just something that I had noticed.

DSCN0555.jpg

DSCN0556.jpg

Contents:There was a lot of product stuffed in those plastic sheets. The leather came packaged with the leather skin, two clear edge protectors (which surprised me, since the site stated that it only came with one), a squeegee, and two rather large decals of the company logo. The matte black protectors were packaged with the protectors, a big white apple decal, an even bigger carbon fiber apple decal, two small clear apple decals, a squeegee, and two more large company logo decals.

I wasn't sure what the small clear apple decals were but turns out they're the size of the apple on the back of the iphone4. Also, I don't know what the white and carbon fiber apples are for either, as they're not the same size of the apple on my macbook pro. I guess they're just some extra goodies, which is a nice touch!

DSCN0558.jpg

DSCN0559.jpg

DSCN0560.jpg

Initial impressions:At first, I thought it looked pretty ugly. The one I received, as you can see in the pictures, has those marks on the left side of the skin. This really isn't a flaw, just how the leather is. Once I put it on my phone though, my mind changed completely.

DSCN0561.jpg

Review:This thing is real leather. Smells like leather, looks like leather, feels like leather. It does feel a little dry though, so maybe some leather maintenance would be needed down the road.

The skin lines up perfectly with the back of the phone. It comes right up to all four edges of the phone. The cutout for the camera is nice and big. It's like a keyhole cutout, but bigger. Even though the skin is so thick, it does not obstruct the flash. Application process was very, very easy. I got it on perfectly with one shot. Just wipe down the back of the phone and apply. You don't really even have to worry about those extra tiny pieces of dust like you would with a back screen protector, since you won't even see them and they won't be causing any bubbling.

It is very thick. Maybe close to around 5-6 times (rough estimate, not exactly sure, probably even more) thicker than the power support crystal back, lucky labs brushed metal, and lucky labs carbon fiber back I had. As I thought, I highly doubt this will fit under an apple bumper. I have a caze thinedge, griffin reveal etch, sgp neo hybrid ex, and incipio feather that wouldn't work with this back. This is a good thing for those of us who just like to keep our phones naked with the exception of skins. Because it's so thick, it not only protects against scratches, but small small drops to the back of the phone. Of course this isn't as good as an actual case, but for just a skin, this is great.

It feels really good in hand. Though it is thick, you don't really notice when you are holding it and it retains that slim iphone 4 profile. The only gripe I have is that the edges are a little sharp, but isn't really much of a big deal and hopefully will dull down with use.

DSCN0563.jpg

DSCN0562.jpg

Edge protectors:These edge protectors are pretty good. All of the cutouts are there, and for the most part line up pretty perfectly. It comes in two pieces and are very easy to install. Just remember that if you are going to use these, wipe down the bezel of any fingerprints or dust because they will show.

They do not fix reception issues, but this is not a problem for me since I don't hold my phone that way. What I like about these compared to lucky labs wraps that I previously used is that they are a tad bit wider. With the lucky labs I would notice that tiny slivers of the metal bezel along the sides, but with these they cover the bezel completely. They do have a sort of sticky feel to them I would say, so that does help grip the phone without dropping.

Final impressions:I love how this looks on my phone and I plan on keeping it for quite a while. Is it worth the price? That's up to you to decide. It does cost $24.99, but keep in mind lucky labs sells their back textures for $9.99 a piece and are far far thinner. So I would say it is a good competition price. The only thing that I really annoyed me was the clear apple cutout that came with the matte black protector. I applied it after I put on the leather skin, just to give that final scratch protection, and notice that there was a huge scuff right in the middle of it. I couldn't take it off either unless I wanted to remove the leather back, and I didn't want to do that.

DSCN0566.jpg

(I didn't apply the matte black protector, so I have no comment on that)

Here's a code that saves %20 for anybody who would like to use it: SAVE20

(I not affiliated with slickwraps in any way. The product was purchased by myself and reviewed for your pleasure.)

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.