Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

castlesave

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 11, 2013
Hi guys,

I'm not really what u might call a computer guy so i was hoping you could help me with this.

I run a hockey organization in Buffalo, NY and we are selling advertising space at our games this season. One thing we are selling is space on a rotating projection screen behind our bench. My plan was to sell 5 second spots to local businesses and have their logo projected onto the screen. I have a mac book and im sure it has some sort of slide show feature.

I sold a spot yesterday and they asked me what format/resolution the picture they should send me. I have no clue. What should i tell them so that a. the picture looks decent on screen ie. not stretched or hazy and b. so that I can figure out how to add this file to a slide show.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

-hh

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2001
NJ Highlands, Earth
For resolution, I'd check to see what the pixel display size is for the (external) monitor display you're using .. for example, 1280 x 1024. Anything that is that big or larger will be fine.

FYI, the above is also less resolution than what an ancient 2 megapixel camera delivers, so if they simply have a photo that they want to send you, just ask them to send the full size original and you'll probably be fine.

Next, one of the ways that you can run your slide show is as your laptop's standard screen saver ... put the images of whoever all has paid into iPhoto, put them into their own folder (or smart folder) and then from OS X control panel, select that same folder for the screen saver.

-hh

castlesave

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 11, 2013
thanks, im gonna give that a shot. i looked at the iphoto slideshow and there is an aspect ratio option under settings. im assuming i can play with that to make it fit the screen properly. I suppose i can just tell them to send me the best quality image they can.

any idea of what format works best, jpeg, gif???

macuser453787

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2012
Galatians 3:13-14
any idea of what format works best, jpeg, gif???

Between the two I'd say JPEG, as long as quality setting is set to maximum. JPEG is typically a compressed file format and the quality of the image will degrade as the quality setting goes lower. Offering another option, TIFF is a better way to go than JPEG in my opinion.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.