Slide to unlock

Discussion in 'iOS 10' started by transphasic, Aug 1, 2017.

1. transphasic macrumors member

Hi al. I just upgraded my ipad air (very reluctantly) to ios 10 and was surprised to see the slide to unlock function does not exist, one must press the home button to unlock the device.

Now the cynic in me who utterly despises apple computer to the core of my being, believes this was done to expedite the breaking of the consumers' home button to increase repairs and thereby revenue for apple, but I will hold off going that route for a moment and give them the benefit of the doubt.

As such, is there a way to unlock the device/turn it on without having to press the home button? Did apple computer do this for the disgusting reason I suspect?

2. shimmyshayshieh macrumors newbie

shimmyshayshieh

Trust me, I completely understand how frustrating it is to be so accustomed to sliding for decades and to deal with this. But alas, Tim believes that we bypass the lock screen (with some potentially important notifications) to easily and quickly with the invention of their super-duper-speedy Touch ID, and that's why iOS 10 uses a "Press home to unlock" login now.

Regardless, if you really are scared of your home button working, which in my experience hasn't occurred at all across my/others' many iOS devices, you can enable AssistiveTouch from Settings>General>Accessibility>AssistiveTouch>"on".
    Now, my friend, when you turn on your iPad Air the way you normally do and then tap the hovering grey icon for AssistiveTouch; this will show you an array of functions you can do virtually instead of manually (one of them being "clicking the home button just by tapping the screen" ). Once you tap the virtual home button, proceed to login or input your passcode if you have one set up just like the good old days.

Enjoy!