Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BigCanoe

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 13, 2003
Is there an iPhone 3G slider type clase (incase, innocase, griffin, etc) that doesnt scratch the back of the phone, or the chrome?

Ferris23

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2007
I have been using the black matte slider for about 3 months. I use it at the gym, at work at home. I have dropped it a couple of times and the case literally has not one scratch or has not peeled a bit. The first run of black matte sliders had a tendency to peel a bit, but now they are rock solid.

I have Capsule rebels, neos, griffin I clear, a bunch of cases all which have scratches on them, this slider is scratch free and flawless after heavy use.

BigCanoe

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 13, 2003
I have been using the black matte slider for about 3 months. I use it at the gym, at work at home. I have dropped it a couple of times and the case literally has not one scratch or has not peeled a bit. The first run of black matte sliders had a tendency to peel a bit, but now they are rock solid.

I have Capsule rebels, neos, griffin I clear, a bunch of cases all which have scratches on them, this slider is scratch free and flawless after heavy use.

Its ok if the case scratches, but I dont want the phone too scratched up by the case itself, have you noticed any?

Ferris23

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2007
Sorry, read that a little too early. It hasn't scratched my phone. If you get some big debris in there and yank the case off it can, but I just pull the bottom off, blow a little to get any dust free and then take it off. No problems here anyway.

aandf1978

macrumors member
Apr 4, 2008
If you take out and clean your iphone and the inside edges of the case itself the incase slider will not scratch the iphone. By far it is the best and slimmest case out there.

BigCanoe

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 13, 2003
I tend to agree, all the reading I have done about these style cases backs it up. I just bought mine yesterday, cant wait for it to arrive!

ratbatblue

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2007
I have had 3 Sliders on 3 different iPhones. I have never had a Slider scratch the back of a phone. I have never had a Slider that did NOT scratch the chrome bezel. The roughest treatment my phones get is being carried in the front pocket of my jeans, with nothing else in the pocket. With the first case/phone, I didn't clean the case often. With the second, a little more often. With the third, every day. Didn't matter. Bezel got scratched, especially badly at the bottom, near the data connector. I've seen this theme in several different threads here, and many more people are in my camp than the fortunate souls who haven't experienced the scratches. Nevertheless, I obviously like the Slider, and would still be using one if the latest one didn't insist on bubbling my screen protectors. I use Power Support matte protectors, and can't make any of them work on this phone with this Slider. Anyway, good luck to you! Hope yours works better.

Ferris23

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2007
Funny, the only screen shield I can get to work with a Slider is the Power Support Anti Glare or Crystal film

ratbatblue

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2007
Funny, the only screen shield I can get to work with a Slider is the Power Support Anti Glare or Crystal film

Yeah, I had no problems with the previous two phones and the anti-glare, either. But with this phone and case, I'm on my fourth protector, and I got the alignment absolutely perfect this time, in case that was the key. It wasn't a factor with the first two phones, nor with this one, it seems, since even when the protector is on just right, it bubbles. I can't afford to keep buying 'em, so I have to give up my Slider. I miss it. :(

BigCanoe

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 13, 2003
I like the more protective cases but I bet they can scratch that chrome too. Why not just use aluminum as trim!?

slapppy

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2008
I like the more protective cases but I bet they can scratch that chrome too. Why not just use aluminum as trim!?

Good question. I wonder if the chrome is also used as part of the antenna? Probably why its so sensitive and doesn't have any scratch resistant properties to it.

ratbatblue

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2007
Good question. I wonder if the chrome is also used as part of the antenna? Probably why its so sensitive and doesn't have any scratch resistant properties to it.

Yup. From iPhone Features on the Apple web site:

"More wireless. Less space.

iPhone 3G delivers UMTS, HSDPA, GSM, Wi-Fi, EDGE, GPS, and Bluetooth 2.0 + EDR in one compact device — using only two antennas. Clever iPhone engineering integrates those antennas into a few unexpected places: the metal ring around the camera, the audio jack, the metal screen bezel, and the iPhone circuitry itself."

But I'm thinking the reason they use chrome is it's SHINY, and people like shiny.

N16K

macrumors newbie
Jan 30, 2009
I have 2 slider cases, white and copper and my iphone I have had since August is scratch free. Ive have no problems with the incase slider.

slapppy

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2008
Yup. From iPhone Features on the Apple web site:

"More wireless. Less space.

iPhone 3G delivers UMTS, HSDPA, GSM, Wi-Fi, EDGE, GPS, and Bluetooth 2.0 + EDR in one compact device — using only two antennas. Clever iPhone engineering integrates those antennas into a few unexpected places: the metal ring around the camera, the audio jack, the metal screen bezel, and the iPhone circuitry itself."

But I'm thinking the reason they use chrome is it's SHINY, and people like shiny.

LOL... yeah people like shiny. I don't know anything about radio waves and interaction with metal, but how would a coating of scratch resistance properties affect radio waves? Most chrome used in cars, bikes all have some resistance to scratching. Hope someone here who knows these things can reply. I also wonder if there is a aftermarket product we can use to put on the chrome and give it some protection.

Artificial-I

macrumors newbie
Jan 26, 2009
You can polish the chrome...so there is nothing on it. Ive taken out slight scratches with mothers polish and made it look nearly new....

Something to keep in mind for those ocd'ers out there.

whitlecj

macrumors regular
Mar 31, 2008

Thanks for that post. I have been searching for screen protector to use with the slider that will not bubble. Now I know what to get. Thanks.

To the OP I have only had my slider for a couple of days. So far so good as far as scratches to the phone go. I love the slider thus far.

Artificial-I

macrumors newbie
Jan 26, 2009
Where do you get mothers polish?

Discount auto , auto zone , wal-mart , napa....etc. Just use a very very very light amount on a paper towel , just touch the towel into the polish (dont try to actually scoop product onto it). Then just rub away...works like a charm.

kicko

macrumors 65816
Aug 26, 2008
mother's polish kinda sounds "dirty" :)

i think the sliding motion used in such a case will always amount in some scratching. There is no way to remove the phone from the case without dragging/sliding both surfaces together. All you need is one little speck to get in there and it get dragged along for the ride = scratches.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.