Slideshow Software

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Wingnut330, Jan 25, 2008.

1. Wingnut330 macrumors 6502a

Hey all,

I'm curious if you folks can recommend any alternate slideshow programs other than iPhoto. I use Photodex's Pro Show Gold in the PC world and it is an awesome program. Unfortunately, they don't make a Mac version.

I tried using iPhoto and was disappointed in it's limited capabilities - although admittedly I'm new to Mac so I may have been doing things incorrectly. It just didn't seem like there was much flexibility or customization available in iPhoto.

Do you guys have any recommendations?

2. GregE macrumors 6502

3. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

I'll second FotoMagico. I used to use a program called "Still Life" but this has not been updated in a long time. FotoMagico was part of the MacHeist bundle deal last year so it was a no-brainer for me. Works great, lets you do exactly what iPhoto does or completely customize the order, speed, zooms, rotations, titles, etc.

This is the sort of program that makes YOU look good. Anyone can take a folder full of JPGs and make a simple slideshow, on Windows or Mac. But take the extra few minutes to set things up with a program like this, and your audience will laud praises on you for your fantastic slideshow. But, if you used something like Pro Show Gold, then you probably knew that already ;)

The nice part is that it's really easy to burn a DVD with the same slideshow, too -- so anyone who comes up to you and says "That was fantastic! Can you put that on a DVD for me?" will get a double-whammy when you send them a DVD with full motion menus, etc.

Apple is in the business of making us look good. I love it ;)

4. Wingnut330 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yea - I did a Google and found a few options including FotoMagico. I was looking for more user recommendations from this site, rather than just a random Google search.

FotoMagico looks like a decent options. I may give it a try.

Any other suggestions?

5. millap macrumors regular

If you have (or are thinking of buying) Roxio's Toast disc burning software, this also includes an app for doing motion slideshows. It's not as good as Still Life, but at least it's universal.

6. bmcgonag macrumors 65816

bmcgonag

I've found iPhoto to be fairly flexible with customization. Combining that with iMovie makes it even easier when I want to add short video clips in to the slideshow, I can duck the music, adjust the titles on the timeline to more exactly fit my show, and creating my custom Ken Burns effects on iPhoto is so easy.

If you don't know how, I'd be happy to show you, and if you do, and still hate it, then give fotomagico a shot.

Best,

Brian

7. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

Speaking as a registered owner of Still Life, I had no problem switching over to FotoMagico. It's a much more full-featured and polished program, and works pretty much the same way.

8. Wingnut330 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I must not be using iPhoto properly then because I didn't see mayn options for adjusting the film reel. bmcgonag I would love some pointers...

9. bmcgonag macrumors 65816

bmcgonag

I'll make a video of how I do it, and post it on my site osxtechtips this week.

Hope it's helpful. I find new little things I can do all the time.

Brian

10. Wingnut330 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hey Brian,

I checked your site and didnt see any new videos. Is one in the works?

Anyone else have any recommendations for slideshow software that will use video and photos?

11. bmcgonag macrumors 65816

bmcgonag

Finally got it done, will upload it today!

Edit: Give it about an hour from the time-stamp here, and it should be ready. It's uploading now. Realize that i've compressed the screen video greatly, so it looks somewhat pixelated, but it comes out nicely as a finished product.

Thanks

Brian