Sliding mouse across the screen

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Jewels53, Nov 18, 2009.

1. Jewels53 macrumors newbie

I have a Mac intel 2 x 266 intel. About a year ago, my mouse started having a mind of its own and just would slide across the screen, it just occurred every so often, but in recent times it is continually happening (at least every 3 minutes). A little embarrassing when a PC user uses my Mac and comments upon it. Any ideas how to solve?
    Thanks
    Jewels

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Are you using an Apple mouse?

Sometimes dust collects inside the cavity of the optical sensor, causing it to behave erratically. Try blowing into it for a few seconds and see if that makes a difference.

3. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

I use Logitech MX Revolution mice with all my Macs and they all "slide" every now and then.

As BlueRevolution pointed out, it is just dust — give it a good blow.
    Nothing to do with your Mac and nothing to be "embarrassed" about. ;)
    And always make sure the drivers are up to date. Sounds obvious, but easily overlooked.

What is really fun is having a Wacom tablet attached… then you can complain about erratic behaviour.

4. Jewels53 thread starter macrumors newbie

sliding mouse

Thanks guys for your suggestions, but I actually bought a new mouse and instantly the same thing happened. All the folk I have spoken to, have been mistified by this one. I am at a loss right now and it is really annoying me which you can imagine !!

5. Jewels53 thread starter macrumors newbie

sliding mouse

Sorry, forgot to mention, I am using the Mac wired mouse. My new mouse is also the same. Have spoken to the local MAC retailer and they too are at a loss on this problem.

Jewels

6. surflordca macrumors 6502a

surflordca

Well I use a Mac wired mouse, a wireless Logitech MX Laser and both have the same problem that you have. I hooked up an old Wireless Logitech Optical mouse and it is better. It still does the movement by itself but not as often. If you find a fix I would really be interested in it...

7. Roy Hobbs macrumors 68000

Roy Hobbs