Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PhaserFuzz

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 12, 2007
Is this normal? I just got my refurb MBP in the mail the other day, and there's a slight clicking noise coming from the hard drive every now and then. This isn't a sign of HDD failure is it?

UltraNEO*

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2007
近畿日本
Depends, some drive just make a little scratchy noise while it's running and reading data.. others are silent! If it's making noises that sound repetitive, then that could be a sign of a fault developing... but often when this happens, your Mac will stall a little.

xpovos

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2007
Tennessee
Is this normal? I just got my refurb MBP in the mail the other day, and there's a slight clicking noise coming from the hard drive every now and then. This isn't a sign of HDD failure is it?

Assuming you're not talking about the regular noise that every hard drive makes when seeking, you're probably hearing the read head parking. If that's the case, then it's normal and not predictive of failure. Search the forums for "plink" to find a recent thread on the subject, including what some are calling a "fix".

michaelsviews

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2007
New England

Depends on the manfactorer of the hd, some are noisy and some are extremely quiet. do the search as the other reply said on plink. Seeing how I am on my 2nd MBP because of noise from left fan "This one is quieter" and now the HD on this one makes a noise but as already mentioned thats usually the heads on the drive and if its going to crash its usually when you least expect it. For me I have the 15 days and the store said last night if your NOT 100% happy bring it back and exchange it .

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.