slight defect in my MBP: should I use warranty??

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by games615, May 1, 2007.

1. games615 macrumors newbie

I have to say that making the switch to the Mac OSX has been the best decision I have ever made.
    That said, I believe that the manufacturer warranty is one year, right? If I look at my Macbook pro from the top, the centerpoint of the front edge bubbles out slightly, and it does not look nice at all. Do any of you think this is work returning my MBP and getting a new one in exchange. I have only had it for just over one month. I will try to upload a pic soon so that it is easier to see. Thanks

2. PDE macrumors 68020

This is a common phenomenon. I had several out of the box with this issue. Seems to be a weak point as the aluminum is very narrow and thin and not attached to anything behind it. With pressure from above, it buckles easily. They tried to tell me it was within specifications, but of course it isn't really. Apple should take full responsibility for stupid design decisions - this could have been anticipated easily and avoided if they had designed it so that the bit was somehow attached underneath to the frame or something.

I think you should have them replace the case.

3. Karnifax macrumors newbie

I too have experienced a few manufacturing defects with my mbp, but they told me the same "its within apple's acceptable specifications" BS. Unfortunately I think that they will tell you the same thing and not do anything about it...but if you meet a nice mac genius he might just do it. The Geniuses at my bar are in denial about the obvious design flaws and problems.

Good luck.
    Karnifax

4. airfang macrumors regular

do u mean sth like this?

Attached Files:

• aaa.jpg
      aaa.jpg
      File size:
      19.5 KB
      Views:
    • bbb.jpg
      bbb.jpg
      File size:
      19.7 KB
      Views:
  5. djinn macrumors 68000

djinn

I have a slight gab between the plastic and the base below the left latch holder.. smaller then a fingernail.

To my knowledge this is the downside of using AL as a case.

6. games615 thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the feedback everyone. airfang, I think that my problem is different than what your picture suggests. I think I will give it a shot and call them up. Thanks again.:)

7. airfang macrumors regular

would like to see pics of your situation :) do it at your convenience though

8. majordude macrumors 68020

majordude

Why'd you wait a month? I had a bad MBP and sent it back without even turning the damn thing on! "DOA" was the keyword.

Deformed bottom tray and warped cover.

Attached Files: