Slight dent in 13" rMBP - will it affect logic board below it?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by yjchua95, Feb 8, 2015.

1. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Good day everyone,

Yesterday, my iPhone's powerbank fell off a ledge above my desk and landed on my 13" rMBP with a thunk, creating a small dent.

I'm not concerned about the aesthetic damage; rather, I'm more concerned about the logic board below it.

The indentation is less than 1mm. Will it come into contact with logic board right below it? I have no idea how far the logic board is nestled below it.

Thank you.

Attached Files:

2. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

3. loon3y macrumors 65816

loon3y

4. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

Less than 1 mm and you're concerned? As already mentioned, I'm sure there is nothing to worry about.

5. loon3y macrumors 65816

loon3y

BTW what are you using your thunderbolt ports for.

6. yjchua95 thread starter macrumors 604

One is for Thunderbolt Ethernet (I use Ethernet for security and performance reasons), and the other one is connected to a Caldigit Thunderbolt dock, which in turn has a Promise Pegasus R6 12TB RAID and two external SSDs connected to it.

And the rest of you, thanks for your responses!

7. loon3y macrumors 65816

loon3y

hmm i see i use the ethernet cable too, but with AC routers these days, i wonder what the difference is.

how are the speeds? is there any deadlock when you use the port? or does it transfer data at maximum speeds?

i use my other thunderbolt port for external monitors that don't have HDMI ports.

8. yjchua95 thread starter macrumors 604

Actually it's more about security.

An AC router may be able to match the performance of Ethernet, but when it comes to security, it's still pretty easy (for a software dev like me) to intercept traffic signals. WPA2 isn't all that hard to crack given access to very powerful computers. Even an nMP would be able to do it.

Speeds are pretty steady. Ethernet to Ethernet transfers clock in at around 115-120 MB/s, which is almost close to the theoretical limit.

9. windywalks macrumors 6502

You've nothing to worry about. First, the logic board isn't even there, it's just the little daughter board that governs the few i/o ports there. Second, the case is very rigid there and the dent is so small there's nothing that could have gotten damaged.

10. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

Nope, the IO board contains the ports on the other side, the ports on that side are on the logic board. The second part I agree with.

11. windywalks macrumors 6502

Sorry, my bad, got the sides confused.