Slight dent in MBP's DVD slot, affecting loading of discs...

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by iamth3g, Feb 23, 2009.

1. iamth3g macrumors newbie

Hey fellow MR surfers,
    I currently have a 2.4GHZ Santa Rosa Chipset MBP with 4GB of RAM. I currently have two issues with my current computer. I have attached a picture with one of the issues I am having with my MBP.

1.) Recently I was typing on my MBP and heard a loud pop sound near my DVD slot loading area. I looked, and it seemed to have slightly collapsed near the center. I am able to load dvds, but ejecting the DVDs sometimes I have trouble with. Sometimes it would eject out, other times if the laptop is at an angle, the DVD would get shoved back into the drive (because the DVD is hitting that dent). I was putting much weight on my top case, because it pop right when I put my palm on top of the MBP's top case, when I heard the pop. What are your suggestions as what I should do? Am I in deep s***, because of damage to that slot and applecare won't cover it?

2.) After the incident with the slot, I tried burning a couple of DVDs for my friends in the UK. I used disk utility program that came with mac to burn an image onto the DVDs. When I inserted the disk to burn, the SuperDrive came up with a notice about something that the drive has a failure to calibrate the laser power? I did search around google about that specific laser power problem, and it seems to have affect a wide range of apple computers. But, would some suggest that the laser power problem was caused by the collapsed of the DVD slot?

I plan to call Applecare in the morning to get it sorted out. But what are your first impressions?

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

My first and only impression is to call AppleCare and pray that they'll fix it. You may be able to solve the first problem by bending the drive opening back to its proper shape, but it sounds like the drive itself is damaged as well.

3. iamth3g thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry here's the picture.

Attached Files:

4. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Yeah, I'm not surprised that you're having trouble. Macs being as anorexic as they are, there is very little clearance for the disk at the best of times.