Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tobypb

macrumors member
Original poster
May 27, 2011
UK
I just noticed a very slight dent/depression in my 1 week old 27" iMac (picture attached - sorry for the poor picture quality it was taken with my ipod - the old thing to hand) and wondered if this is normal?
Could this be caused by me applying pressure with my hands when picking it up?

I'm guessing theres nothing I can do about it and it doesn't bother me that much, just wanted your thoughts :D

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    184.3 KB · Views: 204

duky

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2007
North Carolina
Not normal, and unless you're Superman I doubt it was your pressure that did it as I've carried numerous Al iMacs without having this problem. If it's truly one week old and you didn't somehow drop it or have someone in your house who might have hit it with something I would probably take it back to Apple and see if they can do anything for me. They have no obligation to do anything but they've been known to do nicer things.

Typswif2fingers

macrumors 6502
Feb 17, 2010
Dubai, UAE
Not normal, and unless you're Superman I doubt it was your pressure that did it as I've carried numerous Al iMacs without having this problem. If it's truly one week old and you didn't somehow drop it or have someone in your house who might have hit it with something I would probably take it back to Apple and see if they can do anything for me. They have no obligation to do anything but they've been known to do nicer things.

What he said.

It looks like a straight hit with something heavy and blunt to me...

(I need to watch a bit more of CSI to tell you what exactly it was...)

Last edited:

tobypb

macrumors member
Original poster
May 27, 2011
UK

Thanks. I know they would probably do something but I ordered online, it was BTO, and I don't have an apple store nearby. It looks worse on that photo than it is, although it is still noticeable. As the system is perfect in other respects (no dead pixels, yellowing that I can tell), I'll probably just put up with it. Especially as theres no guarantee they will do anything about it.

I guess I more wanted to be sure I wasn't the cause of it through handling, so I know whether to be careful or not in the future.

tobypb

macrumors member
Original poster
May 27, 2011
UK
What he said.

It looks like a straight hit with something heavy and blunt to me...

(I need to watch a bit more of CSI to tell you what exactly it was...)

Well I certainly haven't done any such thing. Perhaps the BTO had a slight accident when adding the SSD, or the ALU wasn't a perfect piece. If I change the lighting in my room I can't see it at all lol.

Although you know how these things are, the more you notice it the more noticeable it gets.

I can't remember at all whether it was there when I received it, as I said its only viewable in certain light.

I guess I can revise my question is what would you do if it were you?

macman1man

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2011
What's to discuss. It costs a fortune and it's dented. RMA!

Or you going to "live with it" and brain wash yourself that its nothing and everything will be ok...

VulchR

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
Scotland
I have a similar depression on a MB Pro - which is why I am never, ever flying KLM/Air France again. Ever.

In any case OP you should return it - as painful as it might be, you do not know what the consequences of the impact t hat caused the damage was on the machine internal components.

tobypb

macrumors member
Original poster
May 27, 2011
UK
What's to discuss. It costs a fortune and it's dented. RMA!

Or you going to "live with it" and brain wash yourself that its nothing and everything will be ok...

Persuasive - especially as it cost me £2k

I just called apple and I just mentioned it had a slight dent and immediately the apple representative said were sending a new one to me. I told them the dent is fairly small I felt a bit silly calling about it and the representative said she would send it back if it were her and how they wanted me to be happy with my product. So then I told them I need this one for my work and she said thats fine I can arrange their courier to pick up the old one after the new one has arrived.

I'm not use to this kind of customer service, all the other companies I have purchased from are usually a nightmare to return things to. I got the feeling they really didn't mind - amazing :D

On another note this is my first Mac. Will it be easy to use time machine to transfer between the two?

John T

macrumors 68020
Mar 18, 2006
UK.
I'm not use to this kind of customer service, all the other companies I have purchased from are usually a nightmare to return things to. I got the feeling they really didn't mind - amazing :D

That's good news! On the odd occasion I have had to contact or use Applecare, I too have had excellent service. The secret of course was the fact that you were polite and honest in your comments to them.

tobypb

macrumors member
Original poster
May 27, 2011
UK
after reading on these forums a bit I'm concerned if I get another one it might have other far worse problems. I mean at least the screen is perfect on this one and hardware wise I seem sound. I'm thinking if the replacement I get has worse faults I'll just settle for this one, as the indent really isn't that big, and I don't really want to go through the process of endless replacements. Neither do I want to be deprived of this computer, as I love everything else about it too much.

iMikeT

macrumors 68020
Jul 8, 2006
California
Neither do I want to be deprived of this computer, as I love everything else about it too much.

Consider yourself lucky that Apple is sending you a replacement before you sending back the defective product.

In my situation (topic: Running the iMac gauntlet), I had to send my iMac back before Apple sends over the replacement. I'm currently iMac-less and it's a sad, sad world at the moment. :(

toolbox

macrumors 68020
Oct 6, 2007
Australia (WA)
Consider yourself lucky that Apple is sending you a replacement before you sending back the defective product.

That is why apple take your credit card details. So if the defective product isn't sent back in a certain time then your charged for it.

iMikeT

macrumors 68020
Jul 8, 2006
California
That is why apple take your credit card details. So if the defective product isn't sent back in a certain time then your charged for it.

Check out my thread. A couple of the guys were saying that Apple didn't take their credit card info before sending them the replacement. Then again, Apple all ready has their info....

toolbox

macrumors 68020
Oct 6, 2007
Australia (WA)
Check out my thread. A couple of the guys were saying that Apple didn't take their credit card info before sending them the replacement. Then again, Apple all ready has their info....

Yeah having said that, they have mine too - however they wanted my CC details when i had replacement items sent. How odd!

tobypb

macrumors member
Original poster
May 27, 2011
UK

In my situation (topic: Running the iMac gauntlet), I had to send my iMac back before Apple sends over the replacement. I'm currently iMac-less and it's a sad, sad world at the moment. :(

I think it was your thread and another that kinda made me think I don't want to be in an endless replacement saga. I feel for you man, having to send it back first sucks.

I wouldn't do it and would see if they would provide some other kind of compensation in my instance. But obviously each case is different and it depends if the defect is critical or not.

Concerning my replacement apple said they would email me about it yesterday but haven't, I hope I'm not going to have to start chasing them up over it.

FrankHahn

macrumors 6502a
May 17, 2011
Call the Apple Customer Service. If necessary, send them the photos you took. And see that they will say!

iMikeT

macrumors 68020
Jul 8, 2006
California
I think it was your thread and another that kinda made me think I don't want to be in an endless replacement saga. I feel for you man, having to send it back first sucks.

I wouldn't do it and would see if they would provide some other kind of compensation in my instance. But obviously each case is different and it depends if the defect is critical or not.

Concerning my replacement apple said they would email me about it yesterday but haven't, I hope I'm not going to have to start chasing them up over it.

Thanks.

At this point I'm still waiting for any kind of status update from Apple but considering that it's a holiday weekend here in the USA, the earliest I'll see any kind of update will be Tuesday. Apple all ready have the RMA'd iMac as I found out that it was delivered through FedEx's tracking service yesterday morning. I was given the impression that they would begin to work on my new iMac as soon as I got off the phone with customer service and that it would ship out as soon as I dropped it off to my local FedEx but that isn't the case. The earliest that I see my iMac arriving will be Friday, which sucks even more.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.