slight flicker when wake from sleep?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dallas112678, Jun 25, 2010.

1. dallas112678 macrumors 6502a

Anyone see this on their new iPhone 4? Thats the only thing that seems wrong with mine (No yellowing and i havn't noticed reception issues.) Funny thing, i can only notice the flicker when the screen is in some sort of light, if i wake it from sleep in a dark room you can't see a flicker. I just really hope that this doesn't mean something is wrong with the screen because like i said, everything else is perfect.

2. .:ryan:. macrumors member

I'm experiencing the same thing w/ my 3Gs. I think it has something to do with iOS 4 because it didn't flicker before the update.

3. michael31986 macrumors 68040

i made a thread about this. when you slide the unlock it flickers. it happens on the 3gs on ios 4.0 so its a 4.0 issue

4. dallas112678 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks guys, now i know i really do have a perfect iPhone (Hardware wise) so hopefully they fix that flicker in the next update.

5. melterx12 macrumors 6502a

6. KGWVU macrumors regular

KGWVU

No flicker here either. I also have no yellow spots or signal issues. My reception has actually improved with the iPhone 4 to date. Previously, I was consistently around -90 - -113 db at my house. When i restored from my backup on the 3G, my signal was showing in db on the iPhone 4 and I was getting consistently -80 - -95db and no dropped calls at all.

7. dallas112678 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ya i has to be hardware, because i don't remember it doing the flicker when i got it. I also forgot to mention that before i noticed the flickering, i woke it up from sleep and all it did was flicker w/o going to the home screen. It did this for a few seconds and now i have the flicker when waking from sleep.

If i take it to the genius bar (which i plan on doing) what do they usually do? I assume i won't just be able to swap it out since i bought it from ATT.

8. dallas112678 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ok just an update.

The apple store swapped out my phone but the new one does the same thing, a demo unit in the store also does the same thing. It has to be software. It doesn't seem to be an actual flicker, it seems like the screen comes on a millisecond before the backlight which makes it seem like a flicker. That would also explain why its almost impossible to see in low light conditions. If you wake you phone up under the sunlight outside, the sunlight will make the "flicker" appear a bright green which makes it stand out much more, but this seems like a software issue.

9. Rhodesy macrumors newbie

Mine does this too!! Also my gf and every other iPhone 4 I have seen all the ones in the apple store do it aswell I checked today and was told by the genius to live with it!! Did not say anything about a fix for it though :(

10. celticpride678

I noticed this too on my iPod touch 2nd generation. It has something to do with iOS 4.

I noticed that, for me at least, it only happens when the device is plugged in and charging.

11. Matthew Yohe macrumors 68020

12. fishmoose macrumors 68000

If it doesn't effect usability of the phone why should one care?

13. rotobadger macrumors 65816

rotobadger

Me too. Although it doesn't happen everytime.

14. Rhodesy macrumors newbie

I agree it does not effect the use of the phone but what it does do is make it longer to wake up than a 3G on ios 3.1 also is very annoying in sun light! Looks terrible to be fair considering it does not do it on previous models it never done it on my 3GS on ios 4.0! Surely when people have been waiting so long for this "improvement" the phone screen that apple have sold us all as the best screen on the market shouldn't make a huge green flash before waking up.

15. Rhodesy macrumors newbie

Can anyone explain why this is happening??? I have spoke to apple care second level tech support and they have no info what so ever on it and are saying its not listed to be fixed in the next software update!!! its really frustrating and drives you mad once you have noticed it considering it never done it on previous models!!! I have 6 days left to take this phone back and get a HTC but before i do that over this issue and the sensor not repsonding when you hold it to the left side of your face which also is not listed in the software fix according to apple care PLEASE HELP lol

16. samcraig macrumors P6

I have an iPhone 4.0 with (obviously) OS 4.0

I have a very slight flicker. It's barely noticeable inside or in dark(er) environments. The BRIGHTER it is outside (or if I do under direct light) the more noticeable it is.

Just fyi. I don't see it as a "real" issue. A software fix - and if not - no big deal. It's like seeing lag once in awhile when swiping or closing an app. I (personally) don't expect the OS to be 100 percent infallible 100 percent of the time.

17. orange42 macrumors 6502a

This happens to mine. It didn't happen when I first got it though and now I'm noticing it does it quite often. What the hell?

18. samcraig macrumors P6

Are you sure it didn't happen - or were you inside where it was barely perceivable vs now when you're out and about. Sincerely asking. Because I didn't notice it at all until I read it on here.

19. Rhodesy macrumors newbie

i hope it is a software fix as for me its very annoying when outside!!! its enough to send me to android htc desire (and that would be like selling my sole lol) if i cant find any real proof apple are gonna fix it as so far its not reconigsed as a issue

20. Rhodesy macrumors newbie

it does it on all iphone 4s i have seen mine and my gf's all the o2 stores demo's and all the apple store demo's

21. Neil1138 macrumors regular

22. orange42 macrumors 6502a

I notice it every time it happens, and before this thread. From what I remember, I don't remember this happening when I first got it.

23. Rhodesy macrumors newbie