Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kolax

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 20, 2007
Was just thinking that it would be handy to have a primary and a secondary application for file types.

Confused? Put it this way, I have Quicktime as my default video format opener. However, there is videos I download that will only play with VLC player. It is a pain to have to right-click and then select VLC from the list.

Wouldn't it be much easier if you could just hold down something like CTRL and double click and it'll open VLC instead of Quicktime to save me scrolling through?

Is this already possible with an addon program? Reckon it is possible to do?

jtrwallace

macrumors member
Jul 4, 2007
Santa Cruz, CA
well, if you always want to open avi's in vlc, just get info on any avi and change the program it opens with to vlc and then press change all. then all avi's open with vlc. it wont change all video. mp4s will still open in quicktime and whatever else you had set to open in quicktime.

Eric5h5

macrumors 68020
Dec 9, 2004
Just put VLC in your dock, so you can drag files onto it and play them that way. That's what I do....

--Eric

Tom B.

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2006
London
Yeah, that would be really handy for me too. I want jpegs to open with preview by default, but it would be nice if I could chose to certain ones with Photoshop without having to look through drop-down menus.
Maybe you could email Apple and suggest it to them. Or maybe they have already though of it and are putting it in Leopard.

kolax

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 20, 2007
Just thought about this again...

Would be good if people could join in in submitting this to Apple. Something I'd find really useful, as I'm sure others would.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.