Slight innovation

Discussion in 'macOS' started by kolax, Jul 22, 2007.

1. kolax macrumors G3

Was just thinking that it would be handy to have a primary and a secondary application for file types.

Confused? Put it this way, I have Quicktime as my default video format opener. However, there is videos I download that will only play with VLC player. It is a pain to have to right-click and then select VLC from the list.

Wouldn't it be much easier if you could just hold down something like CTRL and double click and it'll open VLC instead of Quicktime to save me scrolling through?

Is this already possible with an addon program? Reckon it is possible to do?

2. jtrwallace macrumors member

jtrwallace

well, if you always want to open avi's in vlc, just get info on any avi and change the program it opens with to vlc and then press change all. then all avi's open with vlc. it wont change all video. mp4s will still open in quicktime and whatever else you had set to open in quicktime.

3. Eric5h5 macrumors 68020

Just put VLC in your dock, so you can drag files onto it and play them that way. That's what I do....

--Eric

4. Tom B. macrumors 65816

Tom B.

Yeah, that would be really handy for me too. I want jpegs to open with preview by default, but it would be nice if I could chose to certain ones with Photoshop without having to look through drop-down menus.
    Maybe you could email Apple and suggest it to them. Or maybe they have already though of it and are putting it in Leopard.

5. kolax thread starter macrumors G3

Just thought about this again...

Would be good if people could join in in submitting this to Apple. Something I'd find really useful, as I'm sure others would.