Slight iPod Touch home button issue

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by lrg32, Sep 26, 2010.

1. lrg32 macrumors newbie

So I have a 64gb 3rd gen ipod touch that im having somewhat of an issue with the responsiveness of the home button. Ever since upgrading it to 4.1 i've noticed that I have to press down a bit harder on the home button for it to respond. Its not a huge difference but I use to be able to just kinda tap on it for it to respond, but now I have to press it a bit harder, or press it all the way in. I have also noticed that it's much more responsive pressing it towards the bottom of the home button, and way less responsive pressing towards the top.

My questions are is this something I should be alarmed about and possibly think about taking it into apple while its still under warranty? Also if I were to take it in, would they even do anything about it because like I said, it not a huge difference in responsiveness, but its still a difference that i've been able to notice. The nearest apple store is about a 30 minute drive and I just dont wanna bring it down there and they don't find it as a problem that should warrant a replacement.

Anyways what do you guys think? Thanks in advance.

2. Abscissa macrumors regular

I'm pretty sure a software update can't effect the operationg of a solid button, meaning a button that's either being used or not. Maybe something happened as sometimes the home buttons get sloppy. I'd call up apple or something and see what they can tell you over the phone.

3. lrg32 thread starter macrumors newbie

I was thinking the same thing but updating the software was the only thing I did differently that may have caused anything. I've never dropped my ipod and the home button itself isn't jammed or anything, just less responsive.

I know my ipod is still under apple warranty for repair, but the telephone technical support part has expired. But I guess i'll try giving them a call tomorrow to see if theres anything I could do.

thanks

4. lrg32 thread starter macrumors newbie

UPDATE:

So I brought my ipod into the local apple store and the "genius" said it might be a faulty home button. At first he was like, if it gets worse bring it back and we'll replace it since its still working fine, but after a few minutes and me explaining to him that I dont live to close to the apple store, he just ordered me a replacement on the spot and says it should be in within a day or two and to just come back and swap the ipods out.

Needless to say i'm gonna be a happy camper once I get that fresh, somewhat new ipod. The first thing im gonna do is slap on a full-body zagg shield on it so it stays immaculate and the back never picks up a single blemish.....

Gotta love apple's warranty. :)