iPhone X Slight pink tint on one side

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by SBruv, Nov 4, 2017.

1. SBruv macrumors 6502a

Anyone else got a subtle red/pink tint on one or both edges of their iPhone X screen?

It’s the same colour that the screen generally veers towards when tilted, but, in my case, only down the left hand edge.

Very subtle, as I say, and not something I’m bothered by at all, but just wondering...

2. SBruv thread starter macrumors 6502a

A81A5967-1FD0-4B22-9272-8709F568A6F4.jpeg Further to this, the pink becomes most visible on a very dark grey background.

If anyone feels inclined to check theirs for me, view this image full screen and see if one side of the screen looks very slightly pink compare to the other. In my case, it’s the left.

It’s most obvious with the top and bottom bars in GarageBand (which runs in landscape), which look like they’re totally different colours.

Anyone seeing similar?

3. dallas112678 macrumors 6502a

Don't have an X, but it's not uncommon for OLED's to have uniformity issues with colors. Even my Note 8 has had some uniformity issues where I've sent it back for screen replacement.

4. SBruv thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hmmm, not sure if it’s an issue or not, though. It’s not particularly noticeable in general usage.

5. danneman macrumors newbie

On my X it’s a very subtle pinkish border (barely noticeable) that goes all around the screen.

6. SBruv thread starter macrumors 6502a

The same width all the way round?

7. danneman macrumors newbie

Yes, just at the edge following all around the screen- very thin. Hard to notice.

8. dallas112678 macrumors 6502a

Yup, this is pretty common on Samsung OLED screens. The top edge of my Note 8 also had a pink hue to it (maybe 1-2mm thick).

If OP is just talking about a similar edge, then it's not worth trading it in and risking something worse if the rest of the screen is fine. If it's a larger pinkish area, it might be worth the risk.

9. jasonklee macrumors 6502a

jasonklee

I thought I saw a very, very, very subtle pink hue in the right ear area. I nagged the girlfriend and she said she couldn't see anything and told me to go away. I compared our Xs and thought her display is less warm/yellow than mine and also more uniform in color. Using your gray photo, I don't notice any pink. I think I see a pinkish hue in the right ear on white interfaces though.

10. SBruv thread starter macrumors 6502a

It’s the whole left hand edge of the screen, top to bottom - a strip probably about half a cm wide. The right hand side has the same but much narrower. Probably not worth getting into the lottery for, right?

11. danneman macrumors newbie

Apart from the faint pinkish border around the screen it’s quite uniform and do not shift into blue so much when tilting - maybe not worth getting into the exchange business.
    The funny thing is when tilting - the screen takes on the pinkish hue and the borders become more warm white.

12. ventmore macrumors 6502a

I have the slight pink border all the way around. I'm guessing it's just the OLED screen tech, and some people will notice it more than others.

13. coleblk macrumors regular

I have the same thing around the right side of my phone and I noticed it as soon as I turned it on and was getting setup. I keep going back and forth about returning this unit and trying for a better one. It’s pretty annoying.

14. ventmore macrumors 6502a

I've already forgotten about it. I know it's there, and can see it at times, but I don't think a replacement would be any different. How noticeable it is seems to vary as true tone does its thing.

15. Stiss macrumors 6502a

Got the same here with the upper right hand corner of my iPhone X.
    Particularly noticeable on a white background, don’t notice it on a dark background.

I popped into a store to look at a display phone to compare and the stores didn’t have it.

When I’m home I’ll upload a pic of my phone if I can capture it and one I took of the stores for comparison.

16. bscheffel macrumors member

5EF632F9-796A-44A5-A41E-EFCFFB25A4D7.jpeg
    —-

Yes I have the same thing - you can see it when not looking straight on. Runs along both sides

17. ventmore macrumors 6502a

Just as an FYI......I had my device replaced today for a different issue. The replacement has exactly the same pink border around it.

18. heartlegs macrumors member

Thats disappointing. I have this exact issue but I dont live near an Apple store. I guess Ill just have to live with it.

19. adh2002 macrumors newbie

--- Post Merged, Nov 17, 2017 ---
    I noticed the exact same thing too. I took my iPhone X into a local Apple store and I was told by the Apple genius that this is normal behavior of OLED technology. I have a friend who also has an X and his looks normal with no obvious pink hue. My plan is to wait it out for a while until hopefully a different batch of phones arrive and try my luck again at swapping it out.

20. venuste, Nov 17, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2017

venuste macrumors newbie

Just received my iPhone X yesterday and it was the first thing I noticed! I put hubby's iphone X side by side and mine has two very obvious pink edge while his is perfectly normal. It is quite annoying, especially in the white background. Like someone said above, when tilting, the edge shift to white but center turns more yellow.

Glad found that I am not day dreaming. After searching on the website, it doesn't seem to be listed as a known issue...

21. Hemmik macrumors member

Same issue here. Pink left side of the screen. It has annoyed me since getting the it. Thought I was imagining it.

22. SBruv thread starter macrumors 6502a

Live with it or chance the lottery. The choice is yours...

23. Davidhedge macrumors member

When I have on night mode my right side is pinkish. Just noticed this.

24. venuste macrumors newbie

I walked into Apple store and talked to the sale rep there. They seem never heard of such thing and suggested me to book a time with technician for repair/replacement. They also asked me to compare with demo iPhone X in store. Funny thing is under the light in store, it is hard to tell the difference from the "front view", but it is very obvious from the tilt view while the demo phone is green-ish and mine is pink/white-ish. Since the wait time for genius bar is ridiculously long, I just went home. I suspect they are willing to make an exchange if it is not visible under the store light nor explode as an issue.....kinda annoying.

25. mydogeatsbeats macrumors regular

I have it too on the left but i saw ones that were way worse thats why i kept mine