Slight popping noise in audio while docked.

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Edgemaster191, Feb 19, 2012.

1. Edgemaster191 macrumors newbie

Hey guys, new here, was hoping someone could help me out.

I have a 4th Gen 32GB iPod Touch that i bought in the beginning of January.

About 2 weeks ago i started hearing a slight popping noise while it's connected to my Kenwood Excelon KDC-X995 via USB.

My old 2nd Gen 8GB Touch connected to the same head unit with the same music (copied from the same source on my computer to both devices) the audio is crystal clear.

The problem appears to be random, i can restart the same song over and it won't pop at the same time it did before. It also doesn't matter what the music is, some songs are MP3, some are Apple Lossless, some are M4a.

Just to confirm it was the iPod and not my stereo, i brought it to Best Buy and docked it to the $600 Bose Sound Dock and could hear the same popping noise.

The noise itself seems to be more prominent on higher end devices, like in my car where it's amplified a lot more than a cheap dock / alarm clock.

Also, if i connect the same iPod to my car stereo with a headphone jack it doesn't make the popping noise.

Just wondering if anyone else has had this issue, and what can i expect from Apple when i make an appointment at the Apple store to have it looked at.

I've also tried doing a factory reset with no luck, same problem. Also, just for giggles, i tried two different USB cables.

2. madrich macrumors regular

madrich

Take it to a Genius for examination. It's still under warranty. Right?

3. Edgemaster191 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah it's under warranty, less than two months old.

I'm gonna run over to the Apple store when i get a free minute. Just curious if anyone had any thoughts.

4. thegreati macrumors regular

If you are under warranty with apple and the device is not jailbroken or appears to have any sort of "accidental damage" apple will most likely swap it for you. But... it can also depend on the genius you are paired up with. Good luck!

5. Edgemaster191 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah it's not jailbroken and it's in good shape. Sunday it started rebooting at random when i skip songs while headphones are plugged in. Fun stuff. It's going to the apple store as soon as i get a free minute.