Slight problem installing OSX ....

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by marbles, Sep 18, 2008.

1. marbles macrumors 68000

marbles

I'm about to sell my two trusty old iMac G3's , the cd drive in one has given up the ghost(or appears to)in the Graphite 500MHz and is refusing to accept the first of my Panther install cd's , which leaves me with the dilemma of not knowing how to do a fresh install and get the machine up and running perfectly , ready for sale .
    The purple 400Mhz one is working fine , so I can install fresh on that but how does one deal with installing on the other ?

Really appreciate some quick help here , the guy is due round tomorrow :eek:

thanks

2. SpookyLars macrumors 6502

3. marbles thread starter macrumors 68000

marbles

thanks .

But how does one copy the cd over ? when I try I just get an alias , which when clicked on gives me a bunch of files .

Would you have the time to explain a little further ?

4. SpookyLars macrumors 6502

I have never used target disk mode (to install OS X), so I can not give you good advice. Check this and this and many others.

5. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

You don't copy the DVD. Put the DVD in the machine with the working drive. Attach the other Mac via Firewire and boot it to target disk mode. Reboot the machine with the working drive into the install. Choose the other Mac in the installer (it'll appear as a Firewire drive) as the target for installation.

6. marbles thread starter macrumors 68000

marbles

Thank you .I appreciate your help. :)

Thank you , I appreciate your help too . :)

:eek:
    Don't I feel silly though , should have done a google search first......must be overtired or something , my brain is struggling to 'boot' this morning ......might have a trip to the doc .

Thanks again guys , appreciate it :cool:

I went off on a google expedition and found this