Slight Vibration 13" MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Macvy Ricky, Jan 5, 2010.

1. Macvy Ricky macrumors member

I just got a new 13" MBP. I noticed that there is slight vibration on the right palm rest. I know that the hard disk is located under there but is this normal? Do any of you 13" MBP owners with stock 5400rpm drive feel the subtle vibration in your MBPs?

2. Macvy Ricky thread starter macrumors member

Its fairly constant.

3. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    Mine has an ultra faint humming feel, but yours sounds more noticeable. You have an awesome warranty. Go here and make an appointment to have it checked out. Can't hurt. :)

4. Macvy Ricky thread starter macrumors member

Mines a faint humming too! Is there any other way you would describe it? I mean I can't hear it at all but I can sense the faint humming.

5. Surely Guest

Surely

Are you sure there isn't someone standing in the room humming?

6. alexlovesmacs macrumors 6502a

7. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    It could possibly be the fan, or just the hard drive spinning. Do you have this checked?

Attached Files:

8. Macvy Ricky thread starter macrumors member

Its definitely not the super drive. If I feel the palm rest, I just feel humming sorta feeling.

9. Gabriel GR macrumors 6502a

Gabriel GR

I can only feel it when it's sitting on something soft like my carpet.

10. Surely Guest

Surely

It's perfectly normal.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm:p

11. jecapaga macrumors 601

jecapaga

What happens when you put it between your legs?

12. thatguysmells macrumors regular

Try seeing if the humm goes away by either plugging in the magsafe or unplugging it. Some MBP's give off a small electrical vibration when plugged in.

13. Azathoth macrumors 6502a

As THS says, it may be a grounding (leakage current) issue. Unplug the MBP from the mains and see if the issue remains.

14. Macvy Ricky thread starter macrumors member

It exists with or without plugging. I went to a genuis and he said he can't feel anything. I tried the display MacBook and only one of three was similar to mine

15. Habitus macrumors 6502a

Habitus

I wouldn't worry. If its the super drive, then that is normal. However, you can always call AppleCare. You're still under warranty.

Habitus :apple:

16. Macvy Ricky thread starter macrumors member

I noticed no vibrations when the laptop was placed on sturdy surface. weird.

17. Wehrwolf macrumors 6502

Wehrwolf

The only thing under the right palmrest is the hard disk. It should not be vibrating such that you can hear or feel it without putting your ear close to the surface. My 13" had a similar problem which I noticed a day after purchase. I had Apple replace the disk the following day, and there is now no vibration/buzzing/humming coming from that component. The only thing I can hear is a soft whir from the spindle motor and the quiet clicking of the head servos if I place my ear within a few inches of the palmrest. There is zero vibration that I can feel on the surface.

EDIT: FWIW, the original noisy drive was a Seagate. The replacement is a Hitachi. From my personal experience, I've had issues with Seagate drives vibrating excessively -- First in my Mac Pro, and now my MBP.

18. Macvy Ricky thread starter macrumors member

so when you place your palm on your right palm rest you can even subtly feel anything rotating under it?

19. Wehrwolf macrumors 6502

Wehrwolf

No. I'm using the MBP on a solid wood desk right now, and I can't detect anything vibrating or rotating underneath that palmrest.