Slight vibration from right speaker

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by KyleGP, Jul 4, 2011.

1. KyleGP macrumors member

Hi all,
    I've searched the net and found some topics on this but never really gotten a definitive answer.

There is no genius bar in my city, and no Apple store. Only Apple retailers. Just wanna say this now.

I just got my new MBP 15" today, and with certain sounds and audio playback the right speaker vibrates the chassis/keys and it is actually pretty irritating.

It happens above 50% volume.

Is it normal for Macbook pros to have some speaker vibration or not? Should I be concerned, and should I take it for replacement?

The other thing I've noticed, which could just be me, but when I was listening to some music on Youtube at full volume on everything, the system doesn't really put out that loud? I dunno if this is just my standards being too high for laptop speakers or not. Both left and right work but even at full volume they aren't very loud.

Just need to know mostly about the vibration and if this sounds similar to anyone else. I'm freakin' out!

2. riptideMBP macrumors 6502

3. KyleGP thread starter macrumors member

I've seen that thread on the Apple site.

I'm not really sure what it is. I guess it only really happens with lower, more bassy tones. Is it normal to expect some vibration/distortion like this?

4. Lwis macrumors newbie

YouTube videos tend to play a little quieter than say a high bitrate song in iTunes, not 100% sure why this is. Also I find that the lower the bitrate the more distorted bass becomes, try a higher bitrate song. If not a screw may be a bit loose which holds your sub in.

I don't get anything like this on my MBP, and stuff plays reasonably loud when I choose to use the speakers (although I find externally outputting or using headphones is the best way to go)

5. SteneDave, Jul 4, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2011

SteneDave macrumors member

I had the same problem with my 13' MBP 2010.

In my case it was the left speaker, which above 50% of volume and just on certain frequencies made like buzzing/vibrating sound. The funny think was when I put my hand on caps lock it almost stopped.

Anyway Apple repair center in my country was unable to fix it, they just didnt hear it and just changed the speaker, which was NOT the problem.

So its not normal at all...

6. KyleGP thread starter macrumors member

Im gonna go scout out the Apple reseller stores tomorrow and check all the MBP's there. If they all have the issue I will assume it's the subwoofer as part of the new design. If they don't, guess it looks like my excitement of my first new mac will be crushed.

I really wish someone knew lots about this and could say a definitive yes or no to it being normal with the new models :(

7. SteneDave macrumors member

Just tell me the song/video and your volume and we'll se if my 15' is doing the same thing..if you want.

8. KyleGP thread starter macrumors member

9. SteneDave macrumors member

Nope 2010, but I assume its the very same in this area.

10. KyleGP thread starter macrumors member

For example, the Basso sound in system preferences.

Start it with a volume under half way, keep clicking basso and slowly increase the volume. Does the sound begin to have more of a rumble/vibration/crackle?

11. Michael383 macrumors 6502a

I have a base 2011 15" MBP and haven't noticed any vibration issues in the right speaker.

12. KyleGP thread starter macrumors member

Well I checked out all the MBP's at a range of stores, all do it.

I think its the subwoofer rumbling the keys. When I hold my finger ont he return key it doesn't happen. Is that a lose keyboard or just the way it should be?

13. SteneDave macrumors member

I tried it as u said and you re right, it vibrates a little bit, but really no big deal, I think its perfectly normal...When I compare to my former MBP...

14. KyleGP thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for letting me know! Yeah it's not too major, I mean it's laptop sound after all. If the laptop sound got worse over the next 3 years then I'll send it in, otherwise I'm good to go. Too much hassle for a small thing which seems normal.