Slight vibration when macbook pro 13 is charging

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nia820, Jul 2, 2012.

1. nia820 macrumors 68000

nia820

I finally made the switch today. i brought my first mac machine. im loving it. but i notice there is a slight vibration when charging it. my ipad also does the same while charging.

does anyone have any idea what the cause of it is? and will the vibration damage my macbook pro?

2. WardC macrumors 68030

WardC

If you are in California, it might just mean you are having an earthquake ;-)

Electricity does make some vibrational energy, you will hear a high pitched electronic "whine" sometimes, but I have never felt my iPad or MacBook physically MOVE like that.

3. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

What you are getting is a slight voltage through the device...I'm guessing you only notice this when you touch the edges? The same thing happens when my iPad is charging, can't tell with my MBP or MBA as they are both in full Speck cases, but I'm guessing they would be the same. It's nothing to worry about.

4. Hyper-X macrumors 6502a

The sensation you're getting is due to poor grounding. The MBP is very sensitive to the lack of proper electrical grounding, in some cases it's something you have to deal with (as in using electricity in a country that doesn't offer grounding on their outlets) however in the US, you can swap your 2 prong end to the long 3 prong grounded extension.

5. Kaemon macrumors member

Happens on my iphone all the time. Its not really a vibration so much as it is this slight tingling feeling when touching it, though I can see how that could be thought of as a Vibration... and as others have said its just electricity. Doesn't hurt anything as far as I'm aware.

6. RVspidey macrumors member

if i put my ear on my iMac i can feel it vibrates when turned on :D

7. nia820 thread starter macrumors 68000

nia820

I swapped my iPad 3 prong pin into my MagSafe adapter and still the tingly feeling. So it must be my outlets in my house. Was kinda hoping the grounded plug would work.