Slight water damage, everything is fine.. for now.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cluu, Nov 26, 2013.

1. cluu macrumors newbie

Hi guys. Quick rundown, had my MBP 13' in its case in my book bag, when I discovered my water bottle was leaking. It only got a little bit of water on the left side of the computer. Laptop was in sleep mode. Turned it on ( stupidly ) and the screen was flickering and dim, and turned pink. Got home and opened it and dried it with the fan running constantly on it.

Two days later, it works perfectly fine. Like nothing happened. Very little corrosion, maybe like 2 or 3 small capacitors. You can see slight stains of water but you would need a flash light and actually tried looking to notice.

Question is, am I in the clear? Is it at risk to get any worse? Thanks for your time.

I can post pictures just in case.

2. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

3. ducatiti macrumors 6502a

All I can I say is at least it was not coke or orange juice :)

4. GSPice macrumors 68000

GSPice

Unfortunately its very difficult to tell the extent and implications of the damage. Sorry. Like above, I wouldn't buy it if I knew it had any water damage.

5. cluu thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the responses. The last question is if the corrosion will get worse?

6. triplelucky macrumors regular

If your looking at “capacitors” with a little corrosion then the water made it into your logic board.

The best thing to do would be to remove the logic board and have someone that knows what they are doing check for damage or other signs of “corrosion” that you might be missing, then properly clean it, dry it and put it back together.

The water may dry but the minerals if not removed will remain and attack the traces on your logic board, and corrosion never gets better with time.

7. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

That means I can't put water bottle in the backpack anymore. :apple: