Slight water damage/start up issues

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by RadAstronaut, Jan 15, 2013.

1. RadAstronaut macrumors newbie

I do apologize if my issue's been covered before, I'm on my phone and can only sift through so much. Here goes.

I have a 13" aluminum MacBook Pro from aug 2011. 2.6ghz I believe. A few days ago I spilled a cup of water behind my computer, splashing the back of the screen and the surge protector below. I immediately unplugged my laptop, wiped the back (silver side) of the screen and the bottom of the computer. It was still on and appeared fine. The screen was dimmed all the way down to one notch, and I noticed flickering. Worried, I brightened the screen and there was no flickering. It looked ok, I simply closed it and put it in my back pack.

At the end of the day I opened it and it appeared to be drained. I plugged it into the MagSafe adapter (new powerstrip also) and let it charge a bit. But it would not start up. The screen did not come on, nor the white light on the front. Faint fan sounds though. Concerned I missed moisture, I put it in a bag of rice for a few days.

It will not boot up. The green battery indicator light on the side says its charging, and I can hear fans inside running, however the white light in front does not come on at all. If I hold the power button down it clicks like a hard shut down would and the fans cease. I took it off the charger to take it upstairs to try hooking it up to my tv via HDMI cable to see if maybe my screen was ruined, but the TV didn't recognize the Mac. At this time I held down the power button to shut it off, and then pressed the power button again to do a theoretical "reboot". And after about 10 or 15 seconds it clicks and shuts off.

Any advice, experiences with this would be most helpful. I have little money to fix or replace this computer, so a diagnosis would be a life saver!

2. dastinger macrumors 6502a

dastinger

I don't want to ruin your hopes but I think you didn't do good by plugging in the MagSafe. If there's something you shouldn't do is plugging anything electronic after it had contact with water. You should only plug it in after being totally sure it's all dry. I would have dried it, put in rice for 2/3 days and afterwards try to turn it on and/or plug the MagSafe. I don't know if that was the problem.. I'm just sharing my experience with this kind of issue (with cellphones mainly).

3. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

The problem was you turned it on.
    You're suppose to leave it off and keep it dry for at least a week in such situation.
    But by turning it on, you possible could of fried the parts inside.

I would just simply take it to Apple Store and have them have a look.
    If the problem was the water (and probably is), its going to cost you a lot for repair.

4. RadAstronaut thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm sure you're right, however I did not believe that it was actually wet inside as it was on during the spill, and after I dried it off, I THEN closed it, and it never booted back up. So I'm not really sure what the true issue is... I agree though that I made more than one mistake throughout this situation

5. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

If it still doesnt boot up, Id go to Apple and ask them to take a look.
    Just get a appointment with the genius and have them open it up.

DONT mention about the water damage.
    See if they notice. If they say it was the water, then it is.