Slight Wobble any importance?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by maplestar, Jun 5, 2009.

1. maplestar macrumors member

I had bought my new MBPro for about a month. Now, I realize that there is a slight unbalance between the weight on it, such that on surfaces, you can kinda tell that the bottom right corner is lifted from the surface. Also, if I tap on the bottom right, or place my weight on it, I can definitely hear the rubber padding hitting the table (tap, tap, tap) and coming up a bit.

It's definitely not a heartbreaking fault, but do you think I'm being nitpicky or is this something worth bringing up?

It's just kinda annoying that it's not solid and balanced well, every once in a while, I'm reminded of this as I place my hands on the computer and feel it tap/shift a bit.

2. bli625 macrumors 6502a

bli625

If you're posting about it, it's clearly "important" to you. If you feel it's really bothering you, take it to Apple and see what they can do about it. It can't hurt. Or.. just live with it. Your call.

3. jpma macrumors regular

I would definitely contact apple for that.
    you never know if it is really the rubber knob problem
    or maybe
    the whole mbp is bend that causes the imbalance.

4. pdxflint macrumors 68020

pdxflint

Make sure all the little rubber pads are there. Otherwise, no... it's not something I'd want to live with on a new machine. My prev. generation MBP is ruler flat, and yours should be, too. Good luck.

5. xpovos macrumors 6502a

xpovos

I've seen (and fixed) this issue on several MBPs, old and new. If you're not afraid to bend your new machine a little bit, you can actually fix it yourself, although it may come back at some point in the future.

If you set the machine on a flat, strong surface with the offending corner hanging off, display open, and firmly hold the diagonally opposite corner down as you push (not TOO hard) on the offending corner, it will often straighten it out.

I was only willing to try this myself after multiple Geniuses at multiple stores refused to do anything about the warped case and basically told me I was out of luck. It's not acceptable for a new machine, especially at this price point.

6. maplestar thread starter macrumors member

Alright, I think I'll give them a call. If they refuse to help out, I'll try to fix it myself. Just hope it doesn't bend too much...

7. Warranty Voider macrumors 6502

I thought I had the same problem a couple weeks ago until I realized that it was my desk that wasn't completely flat. I know it seems obvious, but try using a different table and see if it still does it.

8. Ride9650 macrumors 6502

I second this, I've noticed wobbling depending on the desk I'm using my MPB on. Its been a persistent enough annoyance that I've started checking the tables I use first to find that sweet spot where there is no wobble.

9. maplestar thread starter macrumors member

Yes, that's what I thought first. And here is when confusion begins. At some tables, it seems fine. But on others, like my kitchen granite counter (That HAS to be flat!) It wobbles no matter where I put it.

Then there's my dining table, where it wobbles. But I move to my friend's desk, and it seems OK. I called Apple and I'll be taking it in to see if they can do something about it.

The thing is, my brother's Toshiba laptop doesn't wobble anywhere unless it's on an obviously uneven surface. So I dunno =P.